Help choosing a lightweight 13" laptop

si111 14:50 25 Aug 2008

I'm looking to buy a laptop, with the main emphasis being on lightweight - I'll be carrying it to use on the train, taking to meetings, etc.

I want a 13.x" screen (any smaller is too small for my eyes) and any bigger will be too heavy... I'm thinking around the sub-2kg mark would be good? A good few hours of battery life is important too.

I won't be doing anything too graphics-intensive - integrated graphics would be fine - just word processing, email, maybe DVDs. But I would like it to be fast. I have a large budget and wouldn't mind spending money to have, for example, a 4GB memory etc.

At the moment I'm looking at:
Dell XPS M1330
Sony Vaio SR Series
Sony Vaio Z Series

My question is: does anyone have experience of these laptops?? How can I decide between them? Which is best to get? Are there any other laptops I should consider?

Thanks ever so much for your help
Si

tullie 14:56 25 Aug 2008

Dont know an answer to your request except asking for a good few hours of battery life.The most i ave ever got o of one is two and a half hours.

Si_L 20:25 25 Aug 2008

Check out the Asus EEE PC.

Dizzy Bob 20:44 25 Aug 2008

I have had a Sony S series laptop for over 3 yrs now, and it has been absolutely faultless.

13.3" screen, battery is now down to about an hour, but i was originally getting 3.5-4.5 hours (turn off the bluetooth!)

Great screen, great build.

I would recommend the Sony. Both the SR and Z range are great, i guess the budget may dictate!

Good luck

DB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?