Heads Up on PB2969

[DELETED] 14:16 26 Feb 2007

Just a gentle warning for anyone thinking of purchasing one of these "top of the range" Packard Bell multimedia PC's.

They are in fact seriously underpowered. The PSU fitted inside the case is a maximum 250 watts which has to drive the motherboard, Core 2 Duo 6600 processor, ATI 1600 graphics cards plus no end of USB sockets and attached gimmicks such as remote DVD drive opening.

My unit is experiencing power drop out across the USB ports particularly when anything graphics intense is occurring on screen and I'm now convinced that BSOD crashes in games such as FSX are due to loss of power to components at a critical moment.

How can PB/PC World get away with selling such an underpowered piece of junk?

[DELETED] 18:06 28 Feb 2007

I actually had a similar conversation with a customer only a week or so ago. He wanted to check PSU wattage on several of our high end machines as he wanted to add several extra bits to it. Anyway, after checking acer,advent,compaq packard bell and philips, the most powerfull psu we found was 300w. This suggests its not p.bell but all makes (that we sell) that have fairly small psus. I imagine this is due to the new efficient cpu's and the fact that the Graphics cards supplied are only ever the low end model with lower power consumption than the GT or Pro versions require? Not saying its right or wrong merely an observation of several makes of PC all with similar sized PSU's.

[DELETED] 19:01 28 Feb 2007

Surely if you only sell PCs with watery (excellent description from donki) PSUs and low-end graphics cards you can't possibly describe them as "top of the range"?

[DELETED] 23:07 28 Feb 2007

It a northern irish thing Kate B. I bet the cusomer advisors at BSWorld dont point out the fact that the PSW wont allow big addons? In my opinion an "advisor" should "advise there customers not just wait to be asked? And should BSWorld not recommend to there suppliers that the Computers are underpowered?

[DELETED] 00:23 01 Mar 2007

With a Fujitsu-Siemans pc I bought a few years ago, the thing kept freezing when doing anything graphics intensive. When the warranty ran out after 12 months I opened up the pc to find a 200w psu, no wonder I couldn't play top end games so I changed the psu to a 550w model and the pc has behaved perfectly ever since.

As an aside it may help if you only attatched usb items through a powered hub.

LimestoneRock 17:25 03 Mar 2007

Just been catching up on my reading of another PC magazine in which a Mesh computer is advertised (quite a reasonable spec but with SMA graphics), and the spec actually states -as if this is a "plus" item - that it has a 250W PSU and the PC carries a 3 years parts & labour warranty.

[DELETED] 18:06 03 Mar 2007

Well I've now ordered a Hiper 580w replacement PSU having not heard anything back from the Techguys. So far as I'm concerned fitting that will resolve the power issues and allow me to put in a better graphics card in a month or two. I'll mark the thread as resolved (by doing something on my own initiative) but maybe this is an issue it might be worth the magazine looking into at some point?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?