Have you had a bill from MBS?

Forum Editor 02:07 06 May 2007

If you have seen a bill pop up on your screen, saying that you owe this company money, and you have no recollection of agreeing to any payment I would like to hear from you.

Please contact me via the 'contact forum editor' email link at the top of this page, or by using the small yellow envelope next to my name.

Give me as much detail as you can about what has happened, including details of any contact you've made with MBS - and the results of doing so. I'll get back to you if I need to ask any questions. What you tell me will be treated in strict confidence, and no details will be published here, or in the magazine without your full prior consent. This thread has also been posted in Speakers Corner and the helproom.

[DELETED] 12:56 16 May 2007

I'm just amazed its taken so long for an "old metal" scam to reach the internet (remember the paper bills for entry in a "Fax Directory".)

[DELETED] 01:52 06 Jun 2007

Yes, is the short answer to the question. I vaguely recalled clicking on something on a site but remembered that when I realised it would charge me I cancelled the download and thought no more about it until the bill popped up on my screen today. I was very annoyed as I had attempted to cancel and it would seem that this insidious piece of rubbish does not allow for people to make genuine errors. I have contacted MBS and they are distinctly unhelpful so I, along with many others, am removing it by any means possible or open to me.

I am willing to accept the point of view that this is not a scam and is legal, but I certainly think that the manner in which it is used is downright scandalous. Wouldn't MBS be better to monitor more closely the actual usage from IP addresses instead of forcing people to pay in advance for something they will never use?

The only other thing I would say is that the website pertaining to this company is difficult to access despite their proclamations otherwise and the only way I could speak to them was via the phone. Anybody who is caught out like this must get their subscription cancelled also, as they will continue to bill you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?