Grapphics cards are way overpriced don't you think

rickf 20:39 01 Aug 2003

A top end Gfx card costs more than a pc base unit. Its a joke and who is being ripped off. It's the hype that gets people going.

rickf 23:01 01 Aug 2003

To be cynical, I think they work in tandem so that the show can go on!WE are very often caught up with the excitement, like kids with new toys. Even if the box looks different from the last, its more attractive. The price of these things compare to that of M/B is outrageous.

rickf 09:49 02 Aug 2003

Given the news that JJB and others have been fined millions by the OFT for maintaining extremely high prices for sports shirts I begin to wonder if there is also a cartel here operating to maintain artificial pricing. Am I too suspicious?

powerless 11:24 02 Aug 2003

Well as GFX chips have more transistors then a P4...

Forum Editor 17:38 02 Aug 2003

are not there to look at whether a graphics card (or anything else) is valus for money - their job is to decide whether or not a particular company dominates the market to such an extent that it is able to act against the best interests of the consumer in terms of controlling wholesale and/or retail prices.

That certainly is not the case when it comes to graphics cards, and I think before anyone starts talking about anyone being "Ripped off" it might be a good idea to take a sensible look at the technology involved. Developing 3D graphics cards is probably one of the most complex areas of computer technology, and certainly costs a small fortune. Some cards are very expensive, but they have a very difficult set of tasks to perform, and they must perform them at very high speeds. I can't imagine that many of us are even remotely qualified to know whether or not a particular card is worth its selling price or not - but we do have the ultimate say in the matter, we can choose not to buy such things if we think they're too expensive.

wee eddie 20:03 02 Aug 2003

So long as there are people willing or (for that matter) needing, to buy the latest card. The market leader will charge whatever the market will bare.

You can't blame them. I do the same at the café.

After all, if they do charge too much they will not manage to sell sufficient of their product to cover whatever costs they have incurred.

powerless 23:44 02 Aug 2003

click here £499.99 inc VAT

rickf 23:47 02 Aug 2003

As I said for £500 you get yourself a very nice PC.

[email protected] 11:53 03 Aug 2003

As already said, a seller sells his products at the highest price the market will pay.

-Too cheap and he loses profit.
-Too expensive and he doesnt sell much and so also loses profit.

A good example of this the is the Lemonade stall game at click here

Have a go and see how the market economy works. Its not really a rip off its just life.

Life is indeed a bitch ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf