Graphics Card Review?

Sibbo 16:30 27 Nov 2004

I've had a quote for a new PC Tower that has the following Graphics Card installed:

GALAXY PCI Ex GF6600 GT 128MB GLACIER DDR3 256BIT TV OUT.DVI

Has anybody got one of these, or seen any reviews on it? Is it any good? It's about £150.

Sibbo 16:37 27 Nov 2004

By the way the rest of the system is listed below:

ATX MIDI TOWER CASE 400WATT**BLACK**(2xFrontUSB)
ASUS-P5GDC/Deluxe Skt775,915P,PCIex,DDR2&1,Sata Raid,Fire,GB Lan
INTEL PENTIUM 4 SOCKET 775 530 3GHz
GALAXY PCI Ex GF6600 GT 128MB GLACIER DDR3 256BIT TV OUT.DVI
512MB DDR PC400
SEAGATE 200GB SATA ST32008220AS HARD DRIVE BARRACUDA
BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE 1.44MB
ASUS DRW1604P 16x Black Dual Layer +/-Rewriter with Nero
2 Years RTB (Parts & Labour Warranty Hardware Only)

Total price £699 without OS. Any comments on overall spec' as well? TIA

gudgulf 23:15 27 Nov 2004

Not seen a review of this particular card...but the Galaxy Glacier cards have an improved cooler compared to the standard NVidia format and usually have a small degree of overclocking as standard.

I reckon that both the pc and graphics card are well specified for the price...you should have no problems playing the latest games with this set-up even at the highest resolutions (providing you avoid antialiasing and high levels of anisotrophic filtering ).

If it was me I would be inclined to ask if they could supply it with 1 Gb of ram (and pay the extra)if you are going to use it for gaming.If not it is fine.

Sibbo 09:49 28 Nov 2004

I would be using it for gaming but why would 1GB of Ram be required? I thought 512MB was ample. Most PC magazines that I have read have stated that this amount should suffice, and anymore would be unnecessary.

TomJerry 12:07 28 Nov 2004

you might need it if you do video editing

gudgulf 16:32 28 Nov 2004

I only mention it because if you want to play,for example Doom3 then you might find that the game plays better with more than 512Mb of ram.

My own pc,which already had 1GB of ram but is used as a family pc with fast user swiching and a large number of backround programs running would grind to a stuttering halt with Doom3 unless I closed all backround programs and logged anyone else off the pc.....so I increased the ram to 1.5GB and checked with task manager to see what my fully loaded ram usage was. 1.3GB was the result (with Doom3 loaded) and a 1GB page file!
compared with around 650MB with no game loaded with around 300MB in the page file.

I now use 1.5 GB of ram and it is just about enough for *my* computer usage.You may indeed find that 512MB is perfectly adequate for you .

bremner 16:53 28 Nov 2004

Here is a review of the 6600GT click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts