Is this good value??

musicman100 20:37 04 Apr 2005

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this system

click here

£894 including VAT and shipping.( It cheaper in the small business section for some reason)

I've upgraded the 19inch to the 1905FP 19" UltraSharpTM - is the screen any good for games and DVD.

All I will need to add is a DVD writer and speakers about another £70 so complete system £964.

Any one got a Dimension XPS Gen-4?

What do people think of the value of the above??

Thanks.

Nigel

LastChip 22:59 04 Apr 2005

Dell have traditionally stuck with Intel processors and as such, you will always pay a premium as compared to an AMD based system.

I note you mentioned DVD's and games. I use a TFT (flat screen) to watch DVD's sometimes and find it perfectly acceptable. Having said that, no TFT is as good as a normal (CRT) monitor for graphics, and particularly for advanced gaming. So if your into that, I would suggest you stay with a conventional monitor. You get a smearing sometimes in fast moving sequences due to the pixel time to change being slower than a CRT, and loose some definition.

AMD are winning the speed war for gaming, and again, if this is a high priority for you, an AMD based system would probably be a better bet and better value for money. You could build (or buy) a high end AMD based system for a similar cost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)