Faulty PSU and faulty warranty too

  kingkenny 23:04 18 Aug 2005

Hello all,

I recently bought a load of components online and built myself a new PC. I was very happy with it until I noticed a faint noise coming from the PSU. The noise was that of electricity arcing across some internal components. I was a little concerned but it came and went.

To sway any worries I dismantled the PC and rebuilt it check all the connections. However the noise was still apparent.

The noise has now risen in volume and frequency. So much so that I emailed the manufacturer and cc'd the retailer in on my concerns.

The manufacturer had very kindly offered to exchange the unit for me (never heard from the retailer!). I am very pleased with this, however my major gripe is that I have to pay for the shipping back to them!

A PSU is a fairly heavy component, so I will find myself quite out of pocket in order to replace a faulty unit that is still under warranty.

Is this correct?

Should they not pay the shipping, or compensate me?

Should my gripe start with the retailer first? (although they have an initiative with the manufacturer on warranty claim where you deal direct)

  Aspman 10:09 19 Aug 2005

It is generally best to start with the retailer. They have the responsibility to deal with warranty requests in the first instance. Plus they will be more likely to refund any postage costs.

A least you know you have the fall back of returning the unit to the manufacturer. Depending on the price of the PSU i.e. is it expensive or a budget unit, it might just be worth buying another PSU from ebuyer.

  Arnie 14:36 19 Aug 2005

"It is generally best to start with the retailer".

If the retailer refuses to bear the cost of the return carriage, a word with Trading Standards could do the trick.
It worked with my friend’s Time computer monitor. He was also refunded the £1 a minute calls he had made. He received a cheque from Time’s finance dept. However, sadly as you know, the company is now history.

If the PSU is arcing inside as you believe, do not carry on using it!
There may be no voltage rail clamp on the output supplies. This could damage your motherboard or CPU.

Hope this helps you.

  spuds 22:36 19 Aug 2005

The retailer is your first port of call, under consumer law. The manufacturer as a gesture of goodwill have taken up your claim, and they are well within their rights to requested carraige costs and perhaps more,unless there is a manufacturers warranty with the PSU that states differently.

Before you send the unit to the manufacturer, contact the seller and ask them to supply a new unit.

Your rights click here

  Ebonytiger 23:34 22 Aug 2005

Sorry kingpenny posted my question in your answer box by mistake - many apologies. Relevant to your question though I can recommend Antec Truepower psu very quiet.

  Forum Editor 23:48 22 Aug 2005

the important thing is to get the PSU out of the computer as quickly as possible, otherwise, when the PSU fries the motherboard you'll have a dead computer and considerably more to pay out than the cost of carriage for the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)