Evesham extended warranty scam?

Jonathan314159 22:56 01 Nov 2004

Dont get me wrong, I like Evesham. But I'm disappointed to receive a recent letter from them.

2 years ago I bought a computer from them, and paid a little extra for a 3rd year on site warranty.

I have now received a letter inviting me to pay £99 for 3rd year on-site maintenance. The letter starts "Our records indicate that the on site maintenance...will expire on 14/11/04". Right at the bottom of the letter, in small print, is a note that "in the event you have already have third year cover...then please disregard this letter". I would like to think that if I gave them the £99 they would check their records and tell me that I had already got this cover, but I don't feel like testing this out.

Evesham has a good reputation and I'm sure this isn't a scam. But I reckon they have simply sent this letter to everyone, without bothering to check whether or not they bought the 3rd year on-site cover. And I bet they get a reasonable percentage of people trying to buy it for a second time. I only hope that they don't take the money.

Forum Editor 23:10 01 Nov 2004

what's the point of all this?

You say "Dont get me wrong" but in your thread title you virtually accuse Evesham of perpetrating a scam. Having said that, you try to retrieve the situation by saying "I'm sure this isn't a scam" - inviting the question, so why bother posting about it? - and finally round off with "I only hope that they don't take the money."

I think we'll end this here and now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?