Epson 2480 scanner and Canon Pixma IP3000 printer

Silverbeard 15:46 05 Jun 2005

Epson 2480 scanner and Canon Pixma IP3000 printer

I have more or less settled on buying these machines. reviews are mostly good and they are nicely priced. In the past I have stuck with Epson printers but lots of jet blockages have persuaded me to try a Canon.

I was going to buy from Pixmania because of their low prices, but having checked on past postings have decided to take my custom elsewhere - but where?

I would welcome comments both on the machines and possible suppliers.

Robert

Arnie 16:10 05 Jun 2005

I can only comment on the Epson 2480 scanner. I have been using mine for about 4 months and I have found it to be excellent. It gives me good quality scans and as a bonus, the film scanner is quite good for general negatives or transparency frame scans.

As an aside, I am also using a recently purchased Epson C66 printer. Although a little slow, it too gives high quality printing with good photo printing. Considering it is not technically a true photo printer, I have test printed on good quality standard typists' paper. I was very pleased with the results. Far better than the Stylus 880 which it replaced, now happily being used by a friend.

Silverbeard 16:28 05 Jun 2005

Thanks for your comments, Arnie. Glad you like the scanner. The transparency scan was one of the reasons for my choice - I have a quantity of 40-50 year old slides to scan in.

Robert

Hamish 16:43 05 Jun 2005

Canon IP3000 Colour Bubble Jet Printer at click here for £65.99. Do not know how that compares with thev prices you already have

pj123 19:09 05 Jun 2005

For the scanner check out click here

Looks the same as my 3170 scanner, which I can't fault.

For the printer check out

click here

I don't have a Canon printer myself but the replacement ink cartridges are a good price from click here

Border Collie 01:29 06 Jun 2005

Silverbeard, the 2480 is a great scanner, however, I would recommend you use manual mode when scanning slides or transparences. If you have it set to automatic it goes through the 'detection' and 'warm-up' stages each time and adds many minutes to your scanning.

For 'normal' scanning leave it on auto.

Personally I have an Epson R300 to compliment the scanner. They make a fine pair.

Border Collie 01:29 06 Jun 2005

Silverbeard, the 2480 is a great scanner, however, I would recommend you use manual mode when scanning slides or transparences. If you have it set to automatic it goes through the 'detection' and 'warm-up' stages each time and adds many minutes to your scanning.

For 'normal' scanning leave it on auto.

Personally I have an Epson R300 to compliment the scanner. They make a fine pair.

Silverbeard 06:50 06 Jun 2005

Thanks for the comments. Shopping.com is a useful site - now on my "favourites".

The tip about manual/auto is very helpful.

Robert

maz2 22:21 07 Jun 2005

I have the Canon Pixma ip3000 and have always had Epson before, but I would always go for Canon now and in the future, a far more solid and reliable machine and just as cheap inkwise

GRFT 08:04 08 Jun 2005

I've just taken delivery of the 2480 scanner so can only give first impressions. Appearance-wise it's rather disappointing, being bulky and an unattractive battle-ship gray. It also requires an external power supply which means another box and trailing cables on your desktop. This is in contrast to my slim-line Canon scanner which is powered through the USB cable, but unfortunately has no negative or transparency facilities; which is the main reason I bought the Epson.
As Border Collie mentions, when scanning negatives and slides don't use the Auto setting; otherwise after a couple of minutes activity the scanner returns "no document detected." Select the Professional setting and you should be OK.

Silverbeard 06:45 15 Jun 2005

They have been delivered. The Epson scanner from Komplett by Parcel Force, and the Canon 3000 printer from Novatech by DHL.

First try on the scanner looks good It seems to be all that I wanted. a Magazine front cover scanned and printed full size on A4 plain paper by the Canon looked really good. Haven't tried slides yet.

The canon Pixma IP3000 printer is excellent.Compared with my old Epson 810, it is fastand quiet. colours are really good, text nice dense black and sharp. It is so much better than the Epson 810 - wish I had tried Canon before.

Robert

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?