Empire Direct

hazelnut 11:07 29 Jul 2003

I am considering making a purchase from empire direct. Any praise or grumble's from anyone regarding this company ?

Stuartli 15:22 29 Jul 2003

As far as I can make out Empire Direct acts as an agent - a bit like an insurance broker - and tales of its competence vary quite a bit.

It's alright ignoring your local independent dealer to save a few pounds on a TV (and if a dealer is a member of an organisation such as Euronics the price difference is very small, if at all, in any case), but you will quickly realise the limitations if things go wrong and you are working long distance.

Much better to rely on local services where you know you will receive proper after sales service, rather than save what is usually a modest sum.

Peace of mind is more important in the long run.

hazelnut 15:40 29 Jul 2003

For the item I am considering the difference between the empire direct price and currys is a whopping £400. Do you think it is worth the risk ?

Stuartli 19:52 29 Jul 2003

Four minutes faster....:-)

There's an old adage that you usually get what you pay for.

My mate runs an independent audio/visual/domestic outlet and his prices are very similar to the big high street discounters, backed by superior after sales service.

Quite often people come in asking him to repair items they have purchased on the high street - if they are still in warranty he tells them to take the goods back to where they bought them from.

He usually gets a sob story (or angry and abusive reactions) about high street stores proving very negative with after sales responses; he then has to point out that his workshop, which is an expensive operation to maintain, is for his own customers' requirements or goods that are out of warranty, not the high street outlets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs SSD