Ebay - Selling stuff this time....

tammer 13:26 06 Jun 2007

Ok folks,

You might have followed my - "Buying stuff on ebay" and "unlocking phones" threads? Well now I'm going to sell the locked phone back on ebay and it will be the first item I've ever sold.

Are there any pitfalls or lessons you've learned the hard way that would be of use to me?

spuds 17:48 06 Jun 2007

Pamy as a valid point. PayPal can be a saviour for transactions, but when things go wrong!.

Describe the goods truthfully, but be realistic.

Good close-up photos go a long way.

Keep the postal delivery charges reasonable. Make sure that you do not run at a loss, its easily done. Check weight and size before quoting postal costs.Postal and delivery arrangements can result in non-bidders. Offer insurance at extra cost or obtain Certificate of Posting (foc).Post item as soon as possible. If there is or will be delay, state this to the possible buyer.

Try to respond to 'sensible' email requests. You may get the 'odd' email, be careful, especially with mobiles.

Think about a reserve price, it can be an advantage as well as a disadvantage for you or a possible buyer. Some people charge a large deliver charge to cover the cost of the item.

Everyone as to start somewhere, and feedbacks can help. Some with zero rating, who outbids other buyers need careful consideration.The same rule applies to 'new' sellers.

Totally-braindead 23:47 06 Jun 2007

My advice, include a picture and a proper description. If there is any marks or anything do mention them. Make P&P reasonable, check what it costs and send it recorded delivery, do not under any account have anything to do with Nigerian bidders as a lot of them are scammers.
If you take payment by check be sure to say that item will only be sent once check clears and if you get a check do not send it until the check has cleared, regardless of sob stories.
Check the rating of the bidder obviously and have a bit of common sense about the whole thing.

The vast majority of buyers and sellers are the same as you and me, just trying to get some cash for something they no longer need or want, but there are con artists so use a bit of common sense.

Les T 18:12 07 Jun 2007

One piece of advice:- i sold a mobile 2 years ago, buyer seemed honest enough. However, after 10 days he emailed to say he hadn't received the phone (even though he was in France and paid for Surfacemail). According to my Post Office he should have allowed 14 days for delivery.
Anyway he filed a non delivery complaint; i had to refund him and i ended up minus a phone. With my PayPal account being locked for about 10 days, i wish i had took more care with my postage options.

Make recorded delivery your only postage option.

tammer 14:41 10 Jun 2007

I stuck my phone on Ebay yesterday with a closing date of next Saturday. Within half an hour, I was emailed by ebay to say that they were suspending my account as my behaviour may be regarded as suspicious!

I would stress that there was nothing dodgy about my advert and an only assume it's because it's the first item I've tried to sell.

I now have to send proof of purchase, copy passport etc to their offices in Ireland.

Has this happened to anyone else? And do Ebay actually stop any of the bad guys, rather than picking on honest people like myself?

spuds 15:22 10 Jun 2007

eBay have tightened up recently on their security procedures, something in your advert or because of the length of time being eBay registered, must have triggered off a warning flag possibly.

Before you send anything, I would check to see if the advert as been removed.I would also suggest that you phone eBay to confirm their requirements, more so if the advert is still active.

Sic 15:40 10 Jun 2007

I can't begin to imagine what sort of person would send a personal cheque off to a random person on Ebay, what protection does that offer them?!

If you have managed to persuade people that this is an ok way to pay, congratulations....but its on par with asking for cash in a brown envelope.

Tammer, get payment by Paypal, its the official payemnt scheme for Ebay and offers protection to both parties.

Pamy 16:39 10 Jun 2007

Hi tammer and Sic, sorry to read about your problem. I do not sell very often and when I do I fully explain my reason for requiring payment by personnel cheque. I am honest in all ways,( descripton, postage cost and always answer any questions as honestley as I can). My feed back is 100% and I offer to refund if the buyer is not happy for what ever reason. Yes I agrea with your observation, but it works for me.

Terry Brown 21:03 10 Jun 2007

Thee has been a couple of incidents recently where a cheque has been cleared by the bank, then later the bank has a problem with the buyer and the funds are withdrawn from your bank, although they were clear in the first place.I believe this was mainly to do with overseas buyers.
Be Careful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?