Ebay Refund Problem Item taking a long time.

RobCharles1981 23:31 13 Oct 2015

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help?

On the 26th August I purchased some camera batterys from a UK Seller or it appeard to be but this item had came from Germany.... It arrived a few days or so, but to my disapointment they didn't suit my camera so I had to raise an rma this was approved around the 8th of September. So I posted it off from the post office.

But what I didn't do was to add the "tracking" and it was sent as standard the rma was being sent to "Bischofswerda" in Germany and since up at this point it's taking a very long time to reach them.

I've conacted the seller a few times for any updates and that they haven't recieved it, but they will inform me when they have done.

I'm basically getting rather concerned about the length of time it's taking to reach the seller. And I've phoned Ebay and they had started a case, but then transfered me over to Paypal, who told me there's nothing that Ebay can do it's in the hands of the seller.

Any advice on this? Thanks Rob

Forum Editor 08:41 14 Oct 2015

When you sent the batteries back they went at your risk - you obviously realise that the package should have been sent via a tracked service. The fact that the batteries have not arrived at the supplier by now indicates that something has gone wrong - it doesn't take a month to get a package to Germany.

Did you declare the contents of the parcel when you posted it? Alkaline, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) and nickel cadmium (NiCd) batteries may only be sent out of the UK when new and in their original packaging. I assume that this was the case with your batteries.

There is really not much you can do, apart from talking to the seller. How much money is involved?

spuds 10:17 14 Oct 2015

This might be a case of bite the bullet and put the whole affair to future experiences. That of course would all depend if you you want to lose out or pursue the matter to the full extent you can.

Batteries can be a difficult issue, because I have had problems with mobile phone batteries being advertised, yet didn't fit the particular model. The seller did the decent thing and just replaced the item, asking for no returns, due to cost.

Ebay and PayPal can make things difficult even though they have a 'guaranteed' refund or replacement scheme, which doesn't always work that simple. And I think that you may have now found out, by having your case transferred from Ebay to PayPal for a resolution, and PayPal offering the suggestion that its for you to resolve the issue with the seller.

Sending things back to a seller, needs extra measures for your own peace of mind and future compensation claims. Yes it does cost more, but in the end it is possibly the only evidence that you have for a final good result?.

RobCharles1981 19:04 14 Oct 2015

Hello Forum Editior - Typically I forgot to ask for the "tracking" to be added in which would of sped up matters...... The Purchase was £85.14

Is there anything else I can do?

@Spuds - I surpose I have to keep waiting it shouldn't be much more longer I hope!

RobCharles1981 21:38 14 Oct 2015

I hope so too!

Forum Editor 07:52 15 Oct 2015

"We're assuming that the Ebay seller is honest."

I think it's reasonable to assume that. After all, batteries were sent as a result of the order. Without seeing the Ebay listing it's difficult to judge whether the batteries were wrongly described as being right for the camera.

RobCharles1981 22:40 17 Nov 2015

Still waiting!!

spuds 00:34 18 Nov 2015

For the past week or so, I have been involved with an eBay seller, advertising a battery charger for a certain cameras batteries. On the arrival it was very evident the charger was not suitable for the particular battery, the camera used, so I contacted the seller, expressing that the item had been advertised wrongly.

The seller made checks and accepted that the battery charger was indeed not suitable for that particular cameras battery, different type entirely. The seller requested that I return the item for a refund, apparently at my expense. I contacted the seller, and pointed out that due to their errors, it was their responsibility to cover return postage. I obtained from the Post Office, prices for return and notified the seller of this, asking for acceptance or prepaid return label.

With the last 'contact' email to the seller, eBay picked up on this, and informed me that they would undertake a refund,and possibly a returns label, if the seller had not replied in a certain time period.

A short time ago, I received a postage paid address label, and I will now return the goods, making sure that I have a certificate of posting. It will then be a case of wait and see, if the refund is given. If not eBay have promised to step in and guarantee a refund.

RobCharles1981

I would suggest that you contact eBay again, and get a further response for help from them. But consider though, that there might be a time factor for claims, from all parties involved!.

RobCharles1981 09:02 18 Nov 2015

Hi Spuds.

Yes Ebay had sent me an email to "offer to step in" and I filled out the case form and told them what's happend.

I basicially said that I brought these batteries which I assumed where the right ones for my camera when recieved them I tested them and they where not. I submitted an rma to the seller and sent them back but it was suggested that I added the "tracking" (which I stupidly forgot to do) In which I forgot.

But ideally in my view the post office should be more trained in the ebay side of matters and this has caused me so much annoyance to date.

Ebay then replied still bragging on about the tracking number "You should go to your post office to obtain the tracking refference" I know it sounds so silly but how can I???

What else can I do here?

alanrwood 11:28 18 Nov 2015

Basically the fact that you have no tracking number is entirely down to you. You have no proof that the batteries were even sent back. I am afraid you are relying on the goodwill of eBay/Patpal/Seller in this. It seems to me that it is you who needs to be trained in eBay matters, not the Post Office. Sorry to be so blunt.

spuds 11:31 18 Nov 2015

RobCharles1981

Perhaps your only option is to contact Royal Mail and ask if they can help.I would suggest though, that Royal Mail customer can either be good or dire, depending on who is dealing with your issues.

If you paid for tracking, there will be some evidence, from when and where (date/location of post office) the item was dispatched to the receiver of the item, providing of cause, that you have this information. If you get no help there, then its possible to upgrade your question to an higher level.

Again, I would remind you though, that the cost of the item, and the problems it as caused, might be the deciding factor of all this!.

Royal Mail customer support click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)