dyson standup vaccuum

sunnystaines 11:56 26 Nov 2008

anyone one got one, looking at the dc14 model but seem to remember when dyson first come out there was gossip they were just a gimick.

any feedback please.

Stuartli 22:51 26 Nov 2008

The Sebo X4 Extra and other models:

click here

tillybaby 07:48 27 Nov 2008

Believe me I've had more vacuum cleaners than I care to mention but the best I've ever had is the Oreck, it might be pricey but the way it cleans is out of this world and the model I chose came with a 7 year guarantee.

interzone55 09:12 27 Nov 2008

My Dyson DC1 is still going strong after 13 years, the cord had to be replaced after it was attacked by a rabbit, the hose of all vacuum cleaners is prone to damage, the the various tools have been replaced after being dropped and damaged or lost.

I have to say the DC1 is probably the best vacuum I've ever had - much, much better than a Henry, Hoover or Electrolux. I've never had the pleasure of owning a Miele, although my mother in law has one and swears by it. She has a DC4 downstairs and a Miele cylinder upstairs. She also has a DC16 handheld vac for the strairs, but that's utter rubbish...

Stuartli 10:57 27 Nov 2008

Dyson vacuum cleaners bring in a very healthy level of repair charges for electrical outlets the length and breadth of the UK and have for many years - hark back to your own words about "clinics".

No one doubts that Dyson models clean well, but it's not much use if they spend a lot of time in the repair shop...:-)

My son had one, but eventually got rid after it continued to either break down or break up.....

laurie53 19:42 27 Nov 2008

Dyson reputed to have put 85 more out of work, moving to cheap labour outside the UK.

click here

sunnystaines 20:47 27 Nov 2008

Had a lot of good replies, the wife is still thinking about it. the dyson dc14 allergy at £200 from amazon looking favorite but due to cost will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Another option is to travel to a johnlewis and look at the other ones suggested in the thread.

Stuartli 00:17 28 Nov 2008

Dyson relocated to Malaysia SIX years ago with the loss of 800 jobs in the UK....:-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:00 28 Nov 2008

I have had 2 Dysons and have been less than impressed especially as they seem to break various bits with alarming regularity. I began to suspect that they were a triumph of style and advertising over substance.
The second and final one gave up the ghost as I was about to clean the living room for a dinner party. As I had to pick up some bits and pieces from near Asda I dived in to buy a cheapo cleaner until I could read up about the best to get. I bought a Normendie 1600w cylinder for £30.
That was 4 years ago and I have just replaced it with another one as the original one is now used in the garage. I feel that Dysons are a tad expensive and from experience, the Normendie is as good if not better.

Economic news.........
Dyson had a large assembly plant near Malmsbury and needed to expand drastically. They wanted to build in the field next to the main assembly building but the local rose tinted specs, Patagonian cardigan wearing, environmentalists kicked up a fuss as the field had some wildlife in it , Sadly the inept council sided with the scabby newts, Dyson relocated it's assembly to Malaysia and 700 lost their jobs. Dyson also wanted to build a state of the art tech college in Bath to nurture young engineers. Bath City (we still live in the good 'ole days of 1750 and all we want is film companies doing historical dramas) council got all poncey about the architectural design and put obstacle after obstacle at every step and finally he has just pulled out of the project. So plenty of dull Georgian buildings but no new engineers.
If I was James Dyson I would be raising the middle digit to the UK and naffing off abroad with what little is left of his company in the UK. It really makes you want to weep at the lack of support industry gets in the UK when newts and Georgian style Nazis have more say than 700+ people, desperate for work.

laurie53 08:34 28 Nov 2008

That's why I said 85 "more"

oldbeefer2 09:27 28 Nov 2008

...feel better now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sea of Thieves Review

Dell Canvas review: the cheap Wacom Cintiq alternative

How to use iMovie for Mac, tips and more

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?