DVD-ROM / CD-R combo. Which one?

krypt1c 13:26 10 May 2005

I know DVD writers are flavour of the month, but I'm looking for a DVD-ROM / CD-R combo to put into a second PC. Any recommendations ? Thanks

Go to click here and look it up
I had a samsung drive which worked for about 2 years, depends what you are basically using it for

pj123 15:29 10 May 2005

As DVD burners also burn to CD I don't see the point of a combo. I have a DVD burner which burns to DVD, CD and plays DVD and CDs and now costs around £35 why bother with a combo?

Pooke100 16:30 10 May 2005

I'm using a dvd-rom drive and a dvd re-writer drive, LitEon models SOHD-167T and a SOHW-1653S. Quite good and reliable most of my family use liteon drives and they'll all vouch for them. The only thing I find is spin up and my dvd-rom is a bit loud. The dvd re-wrtier is top notch I can't fault it at all. They both work brilliantly with Nero 6 reloaded, (never crashed).

Having two drives prolongs the life of each one respectively, I alternate usage from one to the other. Pretty good for copying "on the fly", straight from the original to the blank too.

Pooke100 16:32 10 May 2005

*The only thing I find is spin up ON my dvd-rom is a bit loud.

spuds 16:48 10 May 2005

I have an 'aged' LG GCC-4120B CD-RW Recorder/DVD-Rom Reader. Superb bit of kit, and would recommend the LG brand for strong consideration.

krypt1c 19:08 10 May 2005

Thanks everyone. Lots of useful advice to ponder on

PUNKA 19:46 10 May 2005

Just purchased a nice TDK Combo from here some place in Ireland with P&P, £33.00.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?