does canon over charge british customers

NORFOLK SPARKY 17:26 19 Oct 2003

I have just come back from a holiday in the states over there canon are charging $899 for the new digital camera eos 300d known as the rebbel 300d over there, here they are asking £899.This seems a bit big a differance even allowing for currancy variations. computers were the same ie $800 over the pond £800 here

Forum Editor 17:46 19 Oct 2003

for a very long time.

ramelton 18:27 19 Oct 2003

It sometimes pays to order from a US source and pay in dollars. It depends on the exchange rate at the time.

fitfella29 18:40 19 Oct 2003

doesnt every major company rip us off over here its not just canon.

Wilham 19:44 19 Oct 2003

I know it doesn't wipe out the difference but prices displayed in the States do not include local tax, in UK they usually do.

wags 20:22 19 Oct 2003

It's the same with a vast range of goods, inc. CDs, clothes, food....etc etc.

davidg_richmond 20:24 19 Oct 2003

Theres loads of differences in costs between the US and UK, so while goods such as these and clothes are a lot cheaper, housing and finance is a lot dearer. A lot of ex-pats in the US say it all evens out, but it remains worthwhile for us to order goods from there.

The EU is trying, if memory serves, to get non-EU companies to charge destination VAT on goods sent to the EU - i.e. we will pay 17.5% VAT on goods ordered from non-EU countries. I don't know whether this has been put in place yet or if it has any chance of succeeding.

davidg_richmond 20:35 19 Oct 2003
  davidg_richmond 20:38 19 Oct 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?