Destroy 'pirate' PCs, says politician

Jester2K II 14:57 18 Jun 2003
  fitshase 15:02 18 Jun 2003

and what is to stop a hacker finding out how to do this and go on a rampage of blowing people's computers up?

Perhaps if someone figured out how to do it and then blew that Senator's computer up, he may think twice!

Fitshase

canard 15:26 18 Jun 2003

Since a lot of dowloading of music is done on Uni PCs would this lead to educational establishments being deprived of computers?

woodchip 15:34 18 Jun 2003

If you do not do anything illegal you have nothing to fear

NinkyRudes 15:40 18 Jun 2003

Is it just me, or are the vast majority of artists supposedly "affected" by illegal music downloads far too wealthy for thier own good anyway? Surely it will only become a problem if it actually affects the individual's livelyhood?

Confab 15:43 18 Jun 2003

Relax - its not going to happen.

woodchip 15:53 18 Jun 2003

And It still does not make it right whatever you say

Jester2K II 15:56 18 Jun 2003

Is it just me, or are the vast majority of artists supposedly "affected" by illegal music downloads far too wealthy for thier own good anyway?

No only a very small minority

NinkyRudes 16:02 18 Jun 2003

Don't get me wrong - I don't condone illegal downloads. But answer me this: what percentage of the computer using population has (or has ever had) an illegal file on their PC? I would argue that it is a pretty high percentage, just in the same way that when we record a TV program not many of us delete/record over it after 28 days, as we are legally obliged to do under UK copyright law.

NinkyRudes 16:05 18 Jun 2003

Besides, as a musician in the very early stage of my career, I see the Internet and free file sharing as an excellent way of spreading my name. It becomes a problem when people only ever download music illegally. Most people I know dowload individual tracks, and based on this decide whether or not to purchase other music by the artist(s).

woodchip 16:06 18 Jun 2003

But who's perfect, We do not go shouting every time someone wants to stop it. It?s the deliberate act that?s the problem of not paying for anything if you can get it for nothing, that?s the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?