dell-build there pcs so they cant be upgraded

skaria 22:51 15 Jan 2005

hi everyone, i have a dell dimension 8250 and wanted to purchase a new 6600gt after receiving £100 as they originally put the wrong graphics card in my pc, see click here. The problem I now have is that is that they have a 250W psu and that is supposedly not enough. I thought that i could change the psu, but that would not fit in the dell case, as it id not maDE BY DELL. Fair enough i thought, id buy a new case and psu. That would also not work, as any other psu cannot be connected to the dell mobo because of some connection. So know i am faced with the dilemma of replacing all these parts (which i dont want to do as i have rdram which is quite expensive) or taking the risk of the graphics card?? I would appreciate any suggestions?? Why do dell make there pc's so that they are almost impossible to upgrade wothout them, which is now not possible as they have discontinued parts for this model??? I feel slightly conned! thanks
skaria
(they make enough profit from just selling the parts. they should of warned me that they were going to discontiue the system!

fitcher 12:57 16 Jan 2005

I do not agree. most pcs are out of date within a short time. my machine I put together a year ago ,with an athlon processor that is now out of date,,also the mother boards are out of date with the release of 64 bt athlon processors ..should dell or any company save all outdated parts , should we not advance with technology .. your machine was put together with a power supply that was ample at the time .for your machine.. if your machine is a few years old you can search for parts on the net ..

skaria 13:09 16 Jan 2005

i undersgtand, but they should stillpovide parts

Rayuk 13:30 16 Jan 2005

I think you may be missing the point which is that Dell have in the past[cant say as at present]veered away from the ATX specs whereby you couldnt upgrade even when their pcs were new without going back to Dell for propriety parts.

Rayuk 13:33 16 Jan 2005

Perhaps this may confirm this view re power supplies
click here

skaria 14:03 16 Jan 2005

thanks rayuk. Im not sure what yu mean about this confiriming the view. though. Could you please explain. Thanks You. Skaria

hugh-265156 14:12 16 Jan 2005

click here scroll down a bit and watch 'Power Supplies Power Supply Meltdown: Dell's Proprietary Connectors'

skaria 17:50 16 Jan 2005

from waht he says i THINK that i have a standard psu by looking at this. I got this of the dell website. CFould you please confirm if I do have a standard psu.
+3.3 VDC
Orange

+3.3 VDC
Orange

COM
Black

+5 VDC
Red

COM
Black

+5 VDC
Red

COM
Black

POK
Gray

+5 VFP
Purple

+12 VDC
Yellow

+3.3 VDC*
Orange

–12 VDC
Blue

COM
Black

PS ON
Green

COM
Black

COM
Black

COM
Black

N/C
N/C

+5 VCD
Red

+5 VCD
Red

Thanks Skaria

david.h 18:16 16 Jan 2005

As above beware of the wiring and power supplies they use different colour system which may burn out you system if you dont get it right the dell way.

Not had a dell pc myself but seen many threads re this on various sites like this one.

skaria 18:23 16 Jan 2005

thanks david.h. I am still not sure what, but this site click here does waht they say will work but have no guarentee so i dont want to buy from there+ its in the US. I think that the psu connector to the motherbaord is standard, but because it does not have a on/off switch a normal psu will not fit. Hence, I will have to buy a new case and new PSU. If that is the case, then i will have toi move the motherbaord, but dell have probably made it so that cant be moved. So, will a normal psu fir, as it hink the connector to the motherbrd is normal. On the psu it has a label with a lot of numbers + made in China. It also says "Foxteq Test Ok. Shift A." I hope you can help me. I also noticed on my psu, ir does not have an on/off button as i said. thanks in advance. Skaria

david.h 18:33 17 Jan 2005

I have seen dell pc's for sale in the shopping malls in the usa a lot cheaper than uk prices. But the usa has diffrent electrical set up not sure how to convert so i had to leave it. Shame they are only mail order in the uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?