CPU from Ebay?

[DELETED] 13:31 27 May 2006

I am about to start building a new PC with an s754 motherboard. OEM Athlon 64s on ebay seem to be very cheap. Is it worth paying the extra money to buy the part from a bona-fide vendor? I feel confident enough to go for an OEM part and already have a fan/heatsink.

spuds 14:35 27 May 2006

When you buy from eBay, its a case of buyer beware. You could get a very good purchase, then again you could end up with a problem, especially on electronic/electrical goods. If the seller appears to be a trader, using ebay as an alternative selling device, then you will have some protection under consumer law.

Personally, I prefer to use places like Ebuyer or Novatech for computer parts, at least you know that you have a good foundation for later actions.

[DELETED] 15:59 27 May 2006

I bought an AMD athlon XP 3200+, via eBay, in November 2003 and all was well, then resold it on eBay two years later. However you DO need to be extremely careful who you buy from.

[DELETED] 19:14 27 May 2006

I have bought lots of electronics bits and pieces, including CPUs, from EBay sellers and never had a problem. Just try to make sure that you buy from someone with a fair number of trades under their belt and who has a good feedback rating.

[DELETED] 19:23 27 May 2006

Thanks for the feedback, I think that given my budget I'll take my chances with Ebay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?