fourjays 16:16 30 Jan 2005

My little sister has been registered with a website for a while now, and now they have decided to ask for a COPPA thingy. lol

A few questions about it:

Can a scanned image sent via email be legally accepted for this purpose?

Does it even apply in the UK, as the COPPA itself gives the impression it applies to USA only?

Also, if she does have to send one, how can I send a fax via my computer, rather than a fax machine?

  Diemmess 17:30 30 Jan 2005

An interesting point to make and deserves better than my guessing.

I suspect that any declaration will be only a release or "blood chit" for the website.

Unenforceable, but will comply with US regulations. That said, I assume a declaration will have to identify the signatory who presumably is father of ...... or at least a responsible adult.

So an email might be acceptable, but only if "they" don't need a signature.

For serious bits of paper in this country, faxes and photocopies won't do, it has to be hard copy via snail mail!

If a signature is required, then it will have to be a document which has been signed before scanning and then treated as a "print" by the Fax facility on your PC.

Presumably you have a dial-up modem and this can be set up through Control Panel as another Fax) printer. A lot of these modems have software which will do this for you, but Windows has its own anyway.

  fourjays 19:12 30 Jan 2005

It doesn't matter now. Apparently their host was kicking up a fuss about it, but they accepted a scan of the filled out COPPA form apparently, so its all sorted. Thanks for your help anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?