Contents insurance TV claim issue

Andy Russell 14:58 05 Jan 2018

My daughter sprayed our TV with a water bottle and killed a line of pixels in a very expensive 49" LG 4K TV that we are still paying for, we rang the insurance company who didn't appear to believe us so got an assessor to take the TV away and check the damage, after having the TV for a week we contacted them and were told we would only receive £377 for the TV minus the £200 excess, with a like for like replacement being £600 that is in no way shape or form enough so I opted to live with the line of stuck pixels and asked for the TV back, HOWEVER we are now being told the TV may of been disposed of! :o

If I knew I was only going to receive £177 I would of stopped the claim there and then, we didn't agree to anything other than getting the damage assessed. Is there anything I can do?

compumac 15:13 05 Jan 2018

Who arranged for the assessor to take the TV away? The TV MAY have been disposed of?

Andy Russell 15:15 05 Jan 2018

The insurance company arranged for the TV to be taken away, the claim handler said she will get back to us but the TV may of been disposed of, she is checking.

Andy Russell 15:29 05 Jan 2018

Well we never agreed the price, we just asked for the TV back, didn't realise I could ask for more money, it sounded pretty clean cut, "this is what your TV is worth, take it or leave it".

compumac 16:20 05 Jan 2018

I do not understand as to how the insurance company can say " the TV may have been disposed of". They should be in a position to know exactly what the status is and should not be saying it may have been disposed of!

You should be in a position to have your TV back in the condition it was in when it left you.

Andy Russell 16:28 05 Jan 2018

It seemed as if the assessor was an outsourced TV repair company. So I'm guessing they need to contact them. So you think I am in a strong position to demand my TV back or a replacement at what I would expect to be no charge?

I never expected it to be this complicated, I'm currently without a TV. I thought here's £200, and then "here is a replacement TV sir" same as or better. Right now I just want my TV back and I'll complain about the poor handling later.

compumac 16:49 05 Jan 2018

"So you think I am in a strong position to demand my TV back?"

If I was in your position I would demand to know why the insurance company say "may have been disposed of". They (the insurance company) are responsible for your TV and are responsible for its whereabouts and its return to you.

Do not tolerate that attitude from them.

Andy Russell 22:43 05 Jan 2018

That’s just it, we didn’t agree the offer, we asked for the TV back. I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by a staged thread.

Forum Editor 22:46 05 Jan 2018

I notice that you say - in your opening post - that this is "a very expensive 49" LG 4K TV that we are still paying for"

If it is the subject of a hire-purchase agreement, it may not be your property at all - it may still belong to the company which is providing the finance. That's my first observation.

If you are the legal owner, the TV remains your property until or unless your insurer settles a claim - the insurer can't just take the item and destroy it without your consent and it certainly can't destroy a finance company's property.

I suggest that you take a good look at your finance agreement, and contact the insurer again, when you are sure who owns this TV. Say that you want your property back, as you have not agreed to accept the settlement offer that was made.

In any event, you will still have to make any outstanding payments due under the finance agreement, so you may as well get the TV back and put up with the failed pixels. Incidentally, this is the first time I have heard of a water spray killing a line of pixels on a TV screen - how much water are we talking about?

BT 09:24 06 Jan 2018

.. how much water are we talking about?

This is one of the things that came to mind when I first read the original post. Plus how old is your daughter and what is she doing 'spraying water about' the room? If she's old enough to know better she needs a good talking to.

with a like for like replacement being £600

The average price for what you say is your TV - 49" LG 4K TV - is around £400

BT 09:29 06 Jan 2018

The average price for what you say is your TV - 49" LG 4K TV - is around £400 so it would seem that an offer of £377 was pretty close to the retail price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs