Comet gets a rocket from Microsoft

TopCat® 15:34 04 Jan 2012
Answered

Accuses it of producing and selling counterfeit Windows software to their PC and laptop customers. A statement from Comet is awaited.

If the charges are proven, then this would mean very serious trouble for the company, right? TC. newsstory here

bremner 15:41 04 Jan 2012

Guardian Article

More detail in the Guardian

ajm 19:10 04 Jan 2012

As far as I can see, Comet is offering a service and rightly charging £14.99 for it.

A customer buys a PC/Laptop that has a hidden partition with the recovery software and as a service, an IT provider or IT retail shop offers to make the recovery cds and charges for the service that as customer can either accept or decline.

morddwyd 21:13 04 Jan 2012

As I read it, these discs could only have been used with an already existing, and activated, product key which had already been paid for.

The offence, if any, is, at best, technical.

dms_05 13:20 05 Jan 2012

It seems Comet were offering a service that the computer suppliers had stopped (to save money). So Comet were charging a modest fee to new users to make sure they had backup CD's. As I see it both the computer manufacturer and Microsoft were cutting corners at the expense of the user and Comet were supplying a necessary service to the user. Well done Comet! Microsoft should be ashamed.

bremner 14:38 05 Jan 2012

From what the legal experts has said so long as Comet made no extra economic benefit then they will be in the clear.

How they will justify £15 per disc we will have to wait and see.

spuds 18:14 06 Jan 2012

"How they will justify £15 per disc we will have to wait and see"

When a importer of a product can charge £5.00 for two sheets of A4 photocopied paper, as a replacement for a lost instruction form, then I suppose it comes down to the 'going rate' and anything goes?.

Medion did that with me, and also accepted the warranty on the product, then voided it the next day, because the item had been classified as second- user (second-hand), due to the retailer (Staples) placing the item on display in their store.

iscanut 10:27 09 Jan 2012

brindley

Let us know how get on suing Microsoft

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Moleskine launches limited edition Lord of the Rings notebook collection

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?