Cd-rom drive replacement

SB23 18:47 26 Sep 2006

I am eventually going to get round to replacing the rom drive as it has now really given up the ghost, the draw opens when it feels like it, its making a weird noise etc, you get the idea.

What I would like to know is, what are people swapping these with, all are quite cheap, but do I go for a DVD writer or just the basic cd type?

I do like the sound of the DVD writers, as I know they do both types, but do I go expensive or the other?
What do I get?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Stuartli 19:35 26 Sep 2006

A CD-ROM drive is around £8 to £10, yet you can get a top brand DVD rewriter for between £18 and £25.

However, it's worth getting both a new DVD-ROM pur(about £12-£15) and a DVD rewriter and only use the latter purely for burning (their longevity is very much shorter than a ROM drive).

Use the DVD-ROM for playing audio CDs, DVDs, installing software etc.

GaT7 19:49 26 Sep 2006

I agree with Stuartli. click here to look at some. G

SB23 20:18 26 Sep 2006

Thanks guys, I've been looking at some, but wasn't sure about them.
The sony was the first one that I looked at on Ebuyer, and is so far my favourite.

SB23 20:41 07 Oct 2006

Will close this now.

As Stuartli suggested, will replace both drives as they are both on the fritz, with what he suggested to do.
With the amount that I will want to backup, the DVD option is best, as opposed to cd's and cd-rw.

Thanks again

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)