Canon EOS5 SLR can you convert to digital ?

Giantsquid 23:09 06 Aug 2003

Time does not allow a detailed description but...
can a SLR camera be converted to become a Digital camera ? and also keep it origional SLR features ?

thanks everyone,

Will post back later if needed.

Forum Editor 00:22 07 Aug 2003

is no.

The two technologies are completely different.

jazzypop 17:59 07 Aug 2003

click here for a similar, seemingly well-informed discussion.

Alan2 16:46 08 Aug 2003

Some digital SLRs - like Canons - will accept the lenses from their 35mm cousins.

Stuartli 16:57 08 Aug 2003

But the lenses which can be accepted (i.e. are compatible) from their 35mm cousins are designed to cover that size of negative, not the CCD of a digital camera....

Hence the ability to make digital cameras so small and with lenses, including zooms, to match.

But I do seem to recollect reading somewhere of a digital "panel" that will eventually be (or even is) available to use with a standard SLR camera's film path aperture; presumably it would similar to the old plate cameras but capable of holding numerous exposures.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:00 08 Aug 2003

Not much point really as there are already Nikon and Canon cameras that can take their full range of lenses. Digital scanning backs are used on medium and large format cameras but putting a back on a 35mm is technically difficult, not stable and makes the camera cumbersome.

G

Tenner 17:36 08 Aug 2003

Like Stuartli, I'm sue I've seen something along the lines of an insert, rather than a bolt-on back, I'll search - memory not what it was , 'n all that.

Regards

Forum Editor 18:24 08 Aug 2003

have talked about digital backs for SLRs - it's been rumoured and counter rumoured for a long time.

The fact is that nobody has so far devised anything that will work well, is easy to fit, and above all, costs less than buying a digital camera in the first place.

As for inserts - the only thing that could be inserted is a CCD and the technical problems associated with that are so great as to make it a non-starter from the cost point of view.

moniter 20:44 11 Aug 2003

can you download digital camcorders onto cd and play on dvd player through tv

Giantsquid 21:17 11 Aug 2003

Yes, you need to edit the movie and burn to cd, then play it in a dvd player that will play anything, I have done it myself.

Giantsquid 21:17 11 Aug 2003

Yes, you need to edit the movie and burn to cd, then play it in a dvd player that will play anything, I have done it myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?