Camera advice

alB 13:49 07 Mar 2012
Answered

I've decided it's time to upgrade from my Canon A570 compact and I want to move up to a "bridge" camera, I've narrowed my choices down to two, the Canon Powershot SX40 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ150, both are very similar in price and specification, the biggest differences I can see are the Canon has a better zoom, the Panasonic has a bigger screen and a few more built in effects etc, online reviews seem to be pretty much even for both, any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated ...alB

john bunyan 19:00 21 Mar 2012

I have found London Camera Exchange a good retailer, willing to price match against other retailers.

iscanut 20:24 21 Mar 2012

Have a look at the reviews here. May help. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-FZ150EB-K-Compact-Camera-Recording/dp/B005LTRD5U/ref=wlitdpopC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3SXNFCWU9FJGJ&colid=29GEV0W5AQ7TB

Pauper 23:23 21 Mar 2012

It's a long time since I've had a bridge camera, but the important things are:

What are you going to be taking images of?

How much post processing do you want to do?

and given how close they are in specs,

How does each feel in your hands?

For the first, from the DPReview site, the Canon has the greater reach, and also appears to have the better focus system with more options available. Will you be shooting still or moving subjects, family and parties or motor sports and airshows? This could be a deciding factor for you.

Post processing as you know throws you the other way, the Panny does offer you raw, but will you use it? And remember that they are both 1/2.3" sensors, so whilst it will be an advantage, you will not be able to get DSLR quality images either way.

Feel, on a decision as close as this, what quite literally feels right in you hands? Going for one over the other because of a specific feature will be no use at all if you are struggling to find a control and miss a shot!

As an after thought, with the prices you are looking at have you considered looking into a decent second hand DSLR? You will not get the zoom range admittedly, but what you will get is a better camera which will allow you to focus (no pun intended) on the kind of photography you want to do if you are looking to get serious about it.

Forum Editor 23:23 23 Mar 2012

My wife has the Lumix, and has been very pleased with it.

alB 18:21 23 Apr 2012
Answer

Finally made my mind up... and got the Lumix, Paupers idea of a second hand DSLR made me think but I decided having the zoom lens and built in features of the Lumix was the better choice for me. Still getting to grips with it but I have to say that I'm more than pleased with my choice, thanks to all who posted comments (and helped me make my mind up)!! ...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

macOS Catalina: Latest Version, Updates, Problems, Fixes & Features

Les meilleurs téléphones Android (à moins de 600 €)