Buying new PC/Laptop - £1000 budget

retro_hood 20:22 30 Jul 2010

Hello everyone.

it's time I invested in some new hardware.

I'm a computing student about to go into my final year so I intend to use this laptop/Desktop PC for development. For example, Visual Studio,Eclipse etc.

I also like to play the occasional game, not too fussed about playing the latest game at highest possible specs.

I don't save much stuff, my current laptop hasn't been full and it is at a 120Gb capacity.

What I am asking is if anyone has any recommendations of what machine to buy, or where to buy it, or both!

I'd prefer a laptop but can be swayed towards a desktop if price is right (including monitor)

john bunyan 20:32 30 Jul 2010

Worth a look - I recently bought this for about £600:

click here

john bunyan 20:34 30 Jul 2010

PS bought from John Lewis - 2 year warranty

rdave13 21:11 30 Jul 2010

Looking at the Toshiba site and your budget I'd consider the Satellite P500-1CG.

click here

Covergirl 23:00 30 Jul 2010

. . . and specced out a killer PC. Found I didn't use 1/3rd of it so next one I bought was £400 off the shelf at Comet. Never looked back.

Get a laptop. Take care of the power leads and USB ports

retro_hood 23:15 30 Jul 2010

I am not that Young, 21 and I will be needed a specced out pc since I will be doing heavy development and multi-tasking. It will be used.

The Kestrel 12:16 31 Jul 2010

If you know what specs you would like on your new PC, why not try configuring it yourself from click here. Quite a number of forum members, including myself, have bought PCs from Cougar and would recommend them.

07patty 17:10 05 Aug 2010

would recommend Cyberpower - have given me great support and their prices are cheap. going to buy from them later this year, their forum is useful as well :)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?