Buying a new PC - Do I need a Floppy Drive?

Richard Ing 13:24 15 Mar 2005

I'm in the process of buying a new PC, but I'm not sure if I need a floppy drive. All my software is on CD or DVD, but I concerned there may be a use I'm missing.

puma22 13:29 15 Mar 2005

Do you use a floppy at all?
I have just bought a PC and wondered the same as you. Having thought about whn I last used a floppy (couldnt remeber it was so long ago) I decided against it and have not missed having one.
I use a USB pend drive. They are very cheap and can carry lots of data. They also seem to be regognised by all PCs.
hope this helps

Jackcoms 13:30 15 Mar 2005

Whilst the use of floppies may not now be as widespread and whilst their capacity is tiny when compared to CD-RWs or even ZIP drives, most PCs still have a floppy drive but not all have a CD or even a ZIP drive.

You may, in the future, need to transfer a small file from your PC to another PC or vice versa.

Buy a floppy drive.

Stuartli 13:36 15 Mar 2005

A new floppy drive from a top brand such as Sony is priced at under £5 and would take five minutes or so to fit if you ever needed to use one.

€dstowe 15:31 15 Mar 2005

One out of my seventeen PCs has a floppy drive.

24bitkid 17:15 15 Mar 2005

Yes you need a floppy drive. Why? Because if you don't have it, you'll suddenly find you need it.

It's called Sod's Law!

Colinp 17:25 15 Mar 2005

Yes. I have just ordered a new computer from Mesh (gulp. Yes I know) and I have asked for a floppy drive to be installed in case I need it. Cost? £10

gobi 18:17 15 Mar 2005

No. If you can't see the use of it now, then don't bother. You could always put one later if need be, but I doubt it. More and more PC have CD drive now, and connected to the net.

Jackcoms 18:51 15 Mar 2005

Confused??

I bet you are now.

jimmybond 18:51 15 Mar 2005

...and three of my fourteen ferraris have walnut gearsticks. :-)

petermontague 19:34 15 Mar 2005

Depending on the spec of your machine it might be worth considering that raid drivers come on a floppy. So if you have raid or intend to get it you would need to hook up a temporary floppy drive to install the drivers. As someone already said you can get a Sony for a fiver so why not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)