Buying a new Laptop...

VanCity 22:03 05 Nov 2008

Im looking to buy a new laptop for the new year and I need some advice, I currently have a 4year old toshiba which has done me well but now is struggling with memory and has become very dated!

Im looking for one for realistically no more that £800 with a intel duo processor of at leat 2.0ghz, 3/4 gb memory, under 3kg and basically anything else which makes it mildly future resistant!

Just looking for advice on specific models or brands that are reliable.

A couple of other queries....

im heading out to Vancouver in January for around 9months - would i be better off buying out there?

and finally extended warranties....worth the extension?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

The Brigadier 09:14 06 Nov 2008

I buy from click here or click here
Toshiba offered me a 2 year warranty for free when i bought my current laptop, an upgrade from the standard 1 year.

Power outage is different in Canada & UK.
Not sure of difference but doubt a UK one would work in Canada we use 240 volts & they use 110?

May be worth buying a cheap laptop to use whilst out in Canada?
2nd user possibly?

Forum Editor 18:51 06 Nov 2008

it will work all over the world - you'll simply need to buy a socket adapter. Canada uses Type B North American NEMA 5-15 sockets and you can just plug your adapter in and use your machine normally - it will auto-switch to the voltage.

I've used my UK-bought laptops all over the world, and never had the slightest problem - that's the whole idea of a laptop.

canarieslover 19:20 06 Nov 2008

My son has recently returned from Canada where he bought an Acer laptop at equivalent of £300 that would have cost around £600 over here. Obviously it would not then be viable to extend the warranty. Also the £ has dropped in value against $ since August when he was out there.
click here

VanCity 19:53 06 Nov 2008

thanks for the responses.

Ive had no issues with my current one working over there so that was never really a concern.

The main thing really is model and make advice....if anyone has any?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sea of Thieves Review

Dell Canvas review: the cheap Wacom Cintiq alternative

How to use iMovie for Mac, tips and more

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?