Bulldog broadband availability

CurlyWhirly 18:59 15 Oct 2004

I am living OUTSIDE London and before (for fun) I just happened to type my telephone number into the main Bulldog broadband site and I got the following message:

"Congratulations - Our records indicate that line number 01*** ****** is connected to the Bargoed exchange on Bulldog's national network. Please click below to select and order your service."

I thought that Bulldog was only available in the London area?
I wonder whether this has anything to do with the recent Cable & Wireless take-over?

CurlyWhirly 17:20 16 Oct 2004

My hunch was right as I have just read in a web article. Resolved.

Stuartli 10:42 17 Oct 2004

I live in the North West and also got the message that my exchange is connected to Bulldog's national network.

Seems no reason why it shouldn't supply its services to customers anywhere in the country - I think you may be confused with its statement that it is a London-based company.

It's BT that supplies the facility to use broadband providing the exchange is enabled for the service - Bulldog is presumably just one of many ISPs making it available to you and other customers.

Stuartli 10:45 17 Oct 2004

Just found the page which outlines Bulldog's services and the C and W connection, but my postcode entry details my local BT exchange.

CurlyWhirly 12:12 17 Oct 2004

Thanks for sharing your findings with me.

CurlyWhirly 16:43 17 Oct 2004

I have tried a Google but even after searching for it no luck!
Just out of curiosity why do you want to know where it is?

CurlyWhirly 21:59 17 Oct 2004

I think this may have somthing to do with BT allowing other companies to unbundle the exchanges, and other steps that have been taken to make the broadband market more competitive.

I think that you have 'hit the nail on the head' with your comment that BT have been letting other companies unbundle the exchanges leading to further UK broadband coverage.

Stuartli 09:43 18 Oct 2004

Virtually all ISPs provide broadband services using your local BT exchange (providing it is has been converted for broadband capability).

Unbundling i.e. allowing the ISPs to install their own equipment in exchanges and not have to pay BT for each customer as would be the case if BT equipment was used, did speed up overall broadband provision.

But originally BT's high costs involved in converting its exchanges meant that it started with the most profitable takeup returns per exchange - a natural business decision.

You may remember that BT used to seek potential customers' notification of desiring a broadband service from their local exchange; once a certain takeup figure was reached then the conversion was undertaken.

spuds 10:02 21 Oct 2004

Perhaps of interest, Oftel are conducting an investigation click here

Stuartli 19:13 06 Sep 2005

After watching WatchDog tonight, I wonder how many are still enamoured with Bulldog...:-)

Didn't come up smelling of roses...

Sapins 08:54 07 Sep 2005

I watched Watchdog last night. What a banal presentation re Bulldog. The representative from Bulldog, Cable and Wireless in fact, held his hand up and accepted there are faults and they are being addressed. I thought he was honest and straight forward, he certainly took the wind out of the presenters sails, and as for the woman presenter, I suppose she was flashing her legs as a diversion. Sows ear and silk purse came to mind.

If they have to fill out their programme with such rubbish they must be on the verge of being taken off air, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?