Bulldog broadband availability

CurlyWhirly 18:59 15 Oct 2004

I am living OUTSIDE London and before (for fun) I just happened to type my telephone number into the main Bulldog broadband site and I got the following message:

"Congratulations - Our records indicate that line number 01*** ****** is connected to the Bargoed exchange on Bulldog's national network. Please click below to select and order your service."

I thought that Bulldog was only available in the London area?
I wonder whether this has anything to do with the recent Cable & Wireless take-over?

CurlyWhirly 17:20 16 Oct 2004

My hunch was right as I have just read in a web article. Resolved.

Stuartli 10:42 17 Oct 2004

I live in the North West and also got the message that my exchange is connected to Bulldog's national network.

Seems no reason why it shouldn't supply its services to customers anywhere in the country - I think you may be confused with its statement that it is a London-based company.

It's BT that supplies the facility to use broadband providing the exchange is enabled for the service - Bulldog is presumably just one of many ISPs making it available to you and other customers.

Stuartli 10:45 17 Oct 2004

Just found the page which outlines Bulldog's services and the C and W connection, but my postcode entry details my local BT exchange.

CurlyWhirly 12:12 17 Oct 2004

Thanks for sharing your findings with me.

Rwstill 15:43 17 Oct 2004

Just reading this thread, what caught my attention is the Bargoed exchange.
Any one know where that is?
I live about 3 miles from there, it's in S Wales about 5 miles higher up the valley from Caerphilly.

CurlyWhirly 16:43 17 Oct 2004

I have tried a Google but even after searching for it no luck!
Just out of curiosity why do you want to know where it is?

ardvarc 17:25 17 Oct 2004

Bulldog Broadband

click here

Rwstill 17:52 17 Oct 2004

CurlyWhirly
If you read my contribution to this thread, I stated that I live 3 miles from there.
It's only a small town, but it as a telephone exchange, my broadband connection through AOL is connected there.
I am amazed that people in London are, they must pass a lot of telephone exchanges on the way.

t.long 21:19 17 Oct 2004

I can also get Bulldog Boradband in Felixstowe of all place - it is in Suffolk for anyone who does not work in shipping and haulage and as such would have no reason to know were it was. I think this may have somthing to do with BT allowing other companies to unbundle the exchanges, and other steps that have been taken to make the broadband market more competitive.

CurlyWhirly 21:59 17 Oct 2004

I think this may have somthing to do with BT allowing other companies to unbundle the exchanges, and other steps that have been taken to make the broadband market more competitive.

I think that you have 'hit the nail on the head' with your comment that BT have been letting other companies unbundle the exchanges leading to further UK broadband coverage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?