Brother

Sebby 19:53 03 Mar 2007

I bought a Brother MFC-3820CN 3 years ago, following a pretty decent review by PC Advisor. For the price, I was pretty happy with it.

About a year ago, the machine's LCD started to read "machine error 41". After a little search on the the web, it was clear that this was a common issue. I called Brother, who confirmed it was a known fault and the warranty on this part was extended by 2 years as a gesture of goodwill. They sent an engineer that same week to replace the part.

A couple of days ago, the machine said the same thing on the LCD. To be honest, I was expecting to have to throw it away as it would be out of warranty completely, but given that it was 3 years old and was only £150 I wasn't too upset. I called Brother on the off chance, who told me that as I'd had the problem once before they'd replace the machine for a brand new one. And, as they don't make the 3820CN anymore, they'd give me the new model, the 5840CN (which, incidentally, is greatly improved).

So a big thumbs up to Brother. It's not often that I'm actually impressed by one of these big manufacturers, but their service really has been great.

Stuartli 21:39 03 Mar 2007

Excellent.

Les 22:59 04 Mar 2007

I agree with Stuartli - that kind of service is incredible! I've had the Brother HL1230 Laser for years now - never had to contact Brother at all. Reliable and economic - would most certainly buy another (but not until my present one has worn out!)<g> especially after reading Sebby's post.

Sebby 23:20 04 Mar 2007

That's great, Les.

I forgot to mention something else that I thought was great. The guy I spoke to at Brother actually asked if I had any unopened cartridges for the 3820CN. As it so happened I had a brand new cartridge of each colour in a drawer. He gave me an address to send them to to have them replaced for the correct ones for the new model. Okay, so strictly speaking this is only fair, but I guarantee most other large manufacturers would not do that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)