Bank charge help scam afoot

jack 09:11 06 May 2007

A message on my answer phone.
A male voice[one I thought i recognised] simply said call on 088000 517 733.
I was suspicious straightaway with an 08 number but I checked- usual recorded voice - something like
This is UK Information services[female voice]
Then a male voice offering help with Bank charge problems.
The tone and pitch of voice was the give away-He was obviously going to try to 'sell'
As I don't have such problems I hung up and and emailed TPS

STREETWORK 09:20 06 May 2007

This is a bot like the accident insurance companies, no win no fee. It constitutes illicit advertising and you could report the problem to the trading standards...

rickf 11:18 07 May 2007

Recieved one asking me to dial 1471 to get info. Deleted immediately as its a scam.

Pine Man 11:37 07 May 2007

1471 will just give you the phone number of the last person to ring you?

BRYNIT 07:38 08 May 2007

I live by the rule. Never return a call that just gives a telephone number unless its a number you know. If it is important they will always call back.

€dstowe 08:15 08 May 2007

Be very careful with calls on the lines of:

"This is an important call from xxxxxxx. Press any key to continue."

I don't know what happens if you "press any key"* but it can't be anything to your advantage.

If it was an important call, there would be someone on the other end ready to continue it.

*Assuming you can find the "any" key (Homer Simpson).

Koochy 01:21 09 May 2007

This was a scam a few months ago if memory serves correctly, when they say "press any key to continue" i think you got transfered to a premium rate number some of which were around £10 a minute.
I am sure there were a lot of people scammed with it i think one lady got a bill for over 800 quid (OUCH)

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?