AOL Broadband, any current customers on here?

donki 12:27 10 Apr 2008

Hi I am currently a very happy Pipex customer, I have a 8mb speed and since I've been with them for a number of years I have unlimited download limit.

The thing is, I fancy a PS3, for the Blu-Ray and the odd game. AOL are doing 8mb speed and a 30gig download limit. Is 30gig big enough for quite a bit of brousing, gaming and downloading? Also, what is the speed, service and AOL as a whole like?

To change would cost me just an extra £10.00 a month, so over 18 months Id have a free wireless router and PS3 for an extra £180.

What yous think?

kingisangus 12:12 11 Apr 2008

I assume you already have an HD television? If not dont bother with the PS3, you wont see the benefit.

Stuartli 12:54 11 Apr 2008

>>free phone calls for £9.99 per month.>>

Somewhat of a contradiction in terms, although I'm aware of what you mean...:-)

LANDCRUISER 23:44 11 Apr 2008

hi there, i have been with aol for six years now,when i had to call them they tried to be very helpful,the only downside is it difficult sometime to understand them,im on the silver service & get 2mb speed for £14-95 per month unlimited,how did you manage to get6.2 to 7.2mb for £9.99 as i would like some of that if i can,they did offer me a increace of speed but they wanted me to sign up for 18 month that i declined

rdave13 00:36 12 Apr 2008

Be very careful of what you really want. Tried AOL's platinum service a few years ago and managed 4 mb tops on a good day. Unfortunately was tied to a 12 months contract and reverted to silver (2mb) as soon as I could. Platinum service was then £29.99 I think. No problems with 2mb, unlimited downloads. Usually have two PC's running constantly with a third joining on-line in the evenings and speed of broadband between the three PC's is excellent.
Start a new contract and you might face a download limit.
Suggest you think it through and the 'unlimited', even with the 'fair usage policy' is really worth hanging on to. Your choice though.

Snec 08:41 12 Apr 2008

How I managed to get that ;o)

At the time I was paying £19.99 for 2Mb when AOL started advertising 2Mb with a free router at £14.99 for new customers.

I rang to complain that new customers seemed to be offered a better deal than (longstanding) current ones and asked for my MAC code.

They immediately offered the deal I now have.

donki 12:06 12 Apr 2008

Yup 40" 1080 in the front room :)

Dazza40 00:27 16 Apr 2008

i recently caled AOL for my MAC and was immediately offered same silver package for 9.99 and free all day uk & national calls. As i had a router they also offered 3 months free! As i was paying 19.99 i took them up on the offer. Also told that as i will be paying less than a tenner a month that the contract can be broken without penalty due to ofcom rules?
anyone else heard of this?

donki 10:21 16 Apr 2008

Thanks again guys, I put my old Xbox with 30games, 2 old phones and an old dvd player/ Harddirve and have now enough to buy the PS3 straight. I'll just stick with Pipex.

RobCharles1981 11:43 16 Apr 2008

You guys are wasting your time and money with AOL, I've giving AOL their P45 and Migrating to Falconnet this Monday!!

Yeeeehaaaa!!

ened 17:16 16 Apr 2008

You still have not stated any facts about why you are disillusioned with AOL.

Just your opinion and many problems run like a thread through most isps - I'm thinking specifically about Indian Call Centres.

I just hope you are not disappointed after your move.

If you are I hope you have the bottle to come back and tell us about it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?