Any good external DVD writers out there?

User-B6270506-B0CF-413D-B0B5707623FBE39D 00:28 16 Sep 2003

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent DVD writer. I am looking for the following spec. External drive, capable of writing DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+ discs.

Which is better, firewire or USB 2.0. If I got a USB 2.0 connectable drive, would I be able to connect it to pc's with only USB 1.0?

Something easy to use would be nice as I am a total newbie when it comes to DVD's. It goes without saying that a good price is always welcome; less than £250 would be nice.

Thanks

John.

-pops- 06:59 16 Sep 2003

"If I got a USB 2.0 connectable drive, would I be able to connect it to pc's with only USB 1.0?"

You would be able to connect it but it wouldn't be fast enough to do anything with a DVD.

Rather than pay through the nose for an external DVD writer, why not buy a normal IDE on and fit it into a case yourself. This is what I did using a NEC 1300 writer and a Belkin enclosure click here

rickf 09:04 16 Sep 2003

I agree with pops, go for an internal one. I recently bought an Ext. for my laptop and had to get a refund as it was causing all sorts of conflicts. Couldn't get it up and running properly. Maybe its me but it seemed rather complcated to set up.Easy as pie to set up an Int.one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?