Hot Topics

Amazon pop ups and non bargains

john bunyan 14:03 03 Jul 2020
Answered

I have noticed recently that if I am looking on the internet to buy something for my wife or I, an Amazon pop up appears even though I have set internet options to block them. How to stop them?

Also , several times I have noticed that Amazon was seriously dearer than others. My wife wanted some hair products:; one was £16 or more on Amazon but £7.99 from manufacturers. Another was £5.49 from Savers and over £16 from Amazon. All for identical products

x13 20:09 03 Jul 2020

Check site permissions in your browser. On my browser, on the Amazon site, I click on the padlock in the address bar that gives a link to the site's permissions. Pop-ups are blocked by default.

As for costs going up I have noticed it since covid.

P.S. just checked Malwarebytes and got an update that had to close it and restart it.

john bunyan 22:50 03 Jul 2020

x13

Thanks. Will check MBAM on PC’s tomorrow- on IPhone at the mo

Secret-Squirrel 08:52 04 Jul 2020

............if I am looking on the internet to buy something for my wife or I, an Amazon pop up appears.............

That doesn't sound right John. A rogue browser-extension or adware infection could be the cause.

Do you get the same pop-ups if you retrace your steps in a different browser? If you don't then let me know the name of the browser where you get this problem.

john bunyan 12:09 04 Jul 2020

S S

Thanks. I was using IE 11 at that time ; a dinasaur but am trying to use Chrome or new Edge. The pop up appears in top left as an Amazon dialogue box. I’m pretty good at running MBAM Premium . Am on an iPhone now but will recheck later and also run ADWCLEANER. Also will look on laptop to see if it’s there. Thanks again

john bunyan 12:58 04 Jul 2020

SS

Ran ADWCleaner on desktop. Indeed it found a lot of Amazon PUPs etc, several categories - over 20 . Very naughty of Amazon. Any suggestions on stopping them recurring as I use Amazon quite a bit. I have MBAM Premium that I've just updated and use Defender. Is it worth using Superantispyware that I used to use? I thought that was mainly to report stuff rather than stop it?

john bunyan 13:20 04 Jul 2020

Had not run Superantispyware for ages, It found 3 tracking cookies (via Google etc)

x13 13:36 04 Jul 2020

Check Windows Defender under App & browser control - reputation based protection and reputation based protection settings that both boxes are ticked for 'Potentially unwanted app blocking'.

Get rid of IE11 .

wee eddie 14:16 04 Jul 2020

can one assume that you're using Google for your search?

john bunyan 14:23 04 Jul 2020

x13

Yes sir I am trying to stop IE11!!

wee eddie

Yes: Google.

I have now updated MBAM Premium on laptop as well. Ran ADWCleaner on it and, like the desktop, it found Amazon stuff and quarantined it.

Will follow up. Thanks both

john bunyan 14:27 04 Jul 2020

Checked both boxes ticked. Interested in preventing Amazon putting PUP's on. Have Unchecky and MBAM Premium

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: Five things you need to know

Marco Oggian's Dreams and Nightmares explores our global anxiety in 2020

Apple releases the public beta for macOS Big Sur

AirPods : comment résoudre un problème de connexion ?