Amazon Poor Customer Service

Salamander7 12:40 29 Jul 2019

Around three weeks ago my Amazon Prime Account was hacked and approx. £140.00 worth of gift cards and software downloads were fraudulently bought using my debit card which is saved in my Amazon Prime account. I reported it on the day it happened by phoning Amazon and my bank. The bank immediately cancelled my Debit Card card and Amazon sent me an email telling me an unauthorized person had gained access to my account, telling me to change password etc and stating money would be refunded if appropriate. To cut a long story short, the money for the software downloads (approx. £42) has been refunded but not £80.00 of gift cards. I phoned Amazon Customer Service repeatedly and they tell me they are sorry but they don't have the power to refund the gift cards. They say they will contact "the Accounts Team" and they will get back to me which they never do. I did, however receive two emails from the "Accounts Team" both of them identical in every word to the email I first got when I first reported the incident, so in other words they were telling me my account had been accessed by an unauthorized person etc. I was alarmed by these two emails but comforted because I knew there was no valid card in the account for any fraudster to use. So despite approximately six phone calls and three online "chat session", Amazon will not tell me why my £80.00 has not been refunded nor will they confirm my account has been hacked twice more following the initial incident. Over the weekend I wrote a firmly worded email to them but of course there has been no response. What can I do next?

WhirlingRound 16:48 10 Aug 2019

The factory owners/managers employing these children are breaking local laws in forcing them to work long hours, sometimes unpaid as interns, and they know it. My criticism towards Amazon was not restricted to just Kindles. I don't know if you'd read the amongst others part of that post. I'm sure they are made to a decent enough standard as you have proved.

I shall not let the sarcastic and childish tone of your reply about my boycott change my position.

Pine Man 17:00 10 Aug 2019

I shall not let the sarcastic and childish tone of your reply about my boycott change my position.

..........and I didn't expect you to. Just a pity you interpretted my post in the way you did but, hey ho!

Forum Editor 22:47 10 Aug 2019

WhirlingRound

"Their Kindle devices amongst others are made by school children working overtime, some of them unpaid, in the Foxconn factory with illegal working conditions."

I would be interested to read more about this - do you have a link to any evidence of it?

bremner 10:12 11 Aug 2019

Guardian article - no mention at all about children.

Forum Editor 15:58 11 Aug 2019

I have found a link.

The Chinese owner of the Foxconn factory in the city of Hengyang employed students aged between 16 and 18 to boost production over a two-month peak period. He has been breaking Chinese labour laws on overtime payments. In China it is legal to employ people aged 16, but they must not work nights, or overtime. No mention of any children working for nothing, though.

Foxconn admitted it had broken labour laws, and said it was taking immediate steps to fix the problem. Under no circumstances, will interns [be] allowed to work overtime or nights in future. Reading between the lines, it seems to be the students' teachers who have a vested interest in encouraging their pupils to do this work. My experience of working with Chinese companies (which isn't extensive) is that most assembly line workers are pretty keen to supplement low wages in any way they can, and greedy employers exploit that need. It's somewhat easier for them to do that in a Communist regime, because although Chinese workers are guaranteed a raft of protective measures under China's employment legislation, their rights are not always properly enforced outside of the major cities. It's the old story - Local authorities are starved of funds and properly trained people to ensure compliance.

Pine Man 16:00 11 Aug 2019

'Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story'.

WhirlingRound 13:12 12 Aug 2019

Thanks for posting that link FE. That among several videos on YouTube I'd seen recently (but didn't bother bookmarking) was what sparked my comment.

One of my concerns is environmental. All those air miles for those devices, to satisfy our almost constant craving for electronics, and future clutter in our homes.

Regarding employment, I'm all for companies employing students with the right conditions, but schoolchidren working in these places for poor or no wages is slavery. Foxconn are guilty of it, they've been found out but I hear of no details of any punishment.

I would like to see more electronics manufacture in places closer to home. It will probably be nearly impossibile due to low wages of the Far East. In the meantime, my choice of electronic devices shall remain minimal. None of my pounds going into Jeff Bezos' pocket.

Salamander7 18:33 13 Aug 2019

Hi just an update. The dgurr email address doesn't work so my carefully composed email will not be read by anyone but Customer Service who I CC'd. Still don't know why they didn't refund the money. I realize by now they never will I just want to know why. I don't think that is too much to ask.

WhirlingRound 20:20 13 Aug 2019

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with them.

Keep phoning them, and INSIST on speaking to someone higher up. If they say no, threaten them you'll take matters further. Email or contact Jeff Bezos.

Then, boycott them.

Salamander7 20:26 13 Aug 2019

Thanks for the response. Do you have an email for Jeff Bezos? I note the reply that mentioned Jeff has disappeared.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)