Amazon Poor Customer Service

Salamander7 12:40 29 Jul 2019

Around three weeks ago my Amazon Prime Account was hacked and approx. £140.00 worth of gift cards and software downloads were fraudulently bought using my debit card which is saved in my Amazon Prime account. I reported it on the day it happened by phoning Amazon and my bank. The bank immediately cancelled my Debit Card card and Amazon sent me an email telling me an unauthorized person had gained access to my account, telling me to change password etc and stating money would be refunded if appropriate. To cut a long story short, the money for the software downloads (approx. £42) has been refunded but not £80.00 of gift cards. I phoned Amazon Customer Service repeatedly and they tell me they are sorry but they don't have the power to refund the gift cards. They say they will contact "the Accounts Team" and they will get back to me which they never do. I did, however receive two emails from the "Accounts Team" both of them identical in every word to the email I first got when I first reported the incident, so in other words they were telling me my account had been accessed by an unauthorized person etc. I was alarmed by these two emails but comforted because I knew there was no valid card in the account for any fraudster to use. So despite approximately six phone calls and three online "chat session", Amazon will not tell me why my £80.00 has not been refunded nor will they confirm my account has been hacked twice more following the initial incident. Over the weekend I wrote a firmly worded email to them but of course there has been no response. What can I do next?

Salamander7 15:40 29 Jul 2019

It is great my message is getting so many views particularly as it has only been up for just short of two hours but can anyone help? Currently things are at a dead stop. I daren't use my account because I have no reason to believe it is secure, I still don't know about the missing £80.00 and all I get from Amazon Customer Service is promises of contact that never happen. I just don't know what to do next.

Salamander7 10:33 31 Jul 2019

Hi Anushetty, Many thanks for your reply. When I ask to speak to someone other than the customer service person on the phone, I am told this is not possible. I will try your Jeff idea. In order to use Amazon Prime you have no choice but to give them what they call "a payment instrument" this seems to be how it all works. After this mess I wont be renewing my Prime Account. So they will never get my card details again.

Pine Man 12:01 31 Jul 2019

click here use the above link and have always been dealt with promptly and fairly.

I

hastelloy 13:53 31 Jul 2019

Amazon UK CEO is Doug Gurr - [email protected]

Salamander7 15:13 31 Jul 2019

Hastelloy many thanks, I will try the Doug Gurr address. Pineman, thanks for your suggestion but your link goes to the chat function and the call back function. What happens is it simply puts you in touch with a Customer Service person who cannot or will not pass the call to anyone who can deal with the issue ie. the "Accounts Team" or the "Fraud Team". The Customer Service people are always very polite and full of apologies and promise to pass your complaint to the relevant "team" who they promise will contact within 48 hours. There is never any contact. Imagine the frustration?

Smudge120 16:52 31 Jul 2019

I have had a problem with a firm. I sspoke to a member of their staff about new parts for our toilet. They said they could not provide photos or drawings so I could check if they were the correct parts. Also had several emails about the order. Made the order paying by credit card. It was ten days before the parcel arrived late on a Friday afternoon. I phoned them to say I was returning the parcel unopened and wanted a refund. When I spoke to one of their staff I was called a liar. Have sent several emails and letters requesting a refund. Have contacted my credit card company who have refunded the money. They have given the company 30 days to explain why I should not have the refund. Have mentioned the Distance Selling Regulations.

WhirlingRound 13:14 09 Aug 2019

I wouldn't buy from Amazon. Their Kindle devices amongst others are made by school children working overtime, some of them unpaid, in the Foxconn factory with illegal working conditions.

Jeff Bezos who owns Amazon doesn't seem to care a jot. The responses I've read are along the lines of 'we are working to resolve this issue.'. That to me does not cut it!

I have been boycotting Amazon for some years, and that boycott continues.

HondaMan 13:28 09 Aug 2019

Another new screen-name? I think you are in the minority. I have been using Amazon for over 20 years and find their services to be among the best

WhirlingRound 15:38 09 Aug 2019

HondaMan, I posted some home truths about Amazon. Is that why you enquired about my screen name? I'm also proud to be 'in a minority' regardless of what you or anybody else thinks.

I agree with you that Amazon's customer services have been excellent. However, their ethics are poor in terms of working conditions in their warehouses, and as stated before, the manufacturing environment. The lack of ethics of the last two aspects is why I don't use them.

Pine Man 16:19 10 Aug 2019

I have been using Amazon for over 20 years and find their services to be among the best

Me to. I have had a couple of problems associated with minor damage on delivery and they couldn't have been more helpful.

I find it strange that criticism has been levelled at Amazon based on their Kindle, which represents a minute part of their business. If they are made by children they are doing it very well. Mine is nearly ten years old and never missed a beat!!

I have been boycotting Amazon for some years, and that boycott continues.

Phew, how does Amazon continue to trade?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !