ADSL Router of my preference for Sky Broadband

techtonic 12:10 30 Sep 2015

Hello everyone.

We have a Sky ADSL broadband connection at home, using the PPPoA Network Type. The default router (Sagemcom [email protected]) provided by Sky, is unable to broadcast its signal to every room in the flat. Thus, I am keen on purchasing an ADSL router; sporting external antennae, of my choice/preference.

I would like to know if there is a law that will prevent me from doing this? We phoned Sky's customer service, but had to disconnect the call out of frustration; after being kept on hold for nearly two hours. Our alternative would be to call Ofcom, but we will consider that option in the event Sky remain unhelpful/uncooperative.

I await your valuable replies.

Pine Man 13:13 30 Sep 2015

You can use any router you like with Sky broadband but it might not be particularly helpful if you have a problem with your internet access and you want Sky to check it out remotely.

Why not use a wifi extender instead. It will probably be cheaper than a router and keep Sky happy as well.

Jollyjohn 13:15 30 Sep 2015

There is nothing to prevent you from using your own router. You will need to note settings on Sky router and then put in your username and password on the new router and select pppoa and it should work. Note Sky will not help resolve connection issues with some routers.

Before buying a new router, consider homeplugs to give wifi coverage in your flat.

Secret-Squirrel 16:14 30 Sep 2015

You can use any router you like with Sky broadband ..........

There is nothing to prevent you from using your own router. You will need to note settings on Sky router and then put in your username and password on the new router..............

Chaps, it's not quite that simple with Sky because the broadband username and password are not visible in the router settings screen and Sky certainly won't tell you what they are. One would need to use a tool to hack into the router and extract its connection details. Google will help with this.

I would like to know if there is a law that will prevent me from doing this?

Sky's Ts & Cs now say this:

If you wish to use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access Sky Broadband we cannot guarantee that ADSL Sky Broadband will work with these. You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access Sky Fibre Broadband.

So, no, there is no law preventing you from using your own router for Sky ADSL although it's likely to be a lot less faff to get a wireless homplug or a range-extender instead.

Jollyjohn 12:15 01 Oct 2015

Thanks for that info Secret-Squirrel. I was unaware that Sky were so strict, I will bear that in mind.

So back to the original post - Homeplugs would be the way to go.

techtonic 13:24 01 Oct 2015

@Pine Man, @Jollyjohn and @Secret-Squirrel, thank you all for your valuable replies.

Indeed, the username and the password required to authenticate the connection, are invisible/inaccessible from the default router's configuration page. However, if I am free to use an ADSL router of my choice, why will Sky not reveal the required/necessary authentication details? Is it a legal binding defined within their terms and conditions? If not, should I lodge a complaint with Ofcom?

I am aware of the hurdles associated with attempting to use a router; other than the default Sky one, for a Sky Fibre (FTTC) broadband connection.

Alternatively, I have considered the option of getting a Wi-Fi repeater (range extender) made by TP-Link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)