7dayshop.com tax issue

joelmb 16:23 08 Jul 2004

Hi. I just bought the Canon IS digital camera from above company. Am waiting for it to arrive so thought I'd get in touch. Couldnt find any telephone number, it seems they operate purely via the web. During my search, I found many comments about disgruntled customers who have had to pay VAT when they receive their goods. Some however say they didnt have to pay, so seems a bit like you're either lucky or not. The price that they quote on their site as a final price is not the final price apparently but the price before VAT - they are based in Guernsey. Only a small note explains this on their website, and nothing whilst you actually place the order and part with your cash.

I'm worried now, as whilst the price is very good, 299, 30 quid cheaper than ebuyer even, if vat is added when i take delivery it'll will be 20 quid more, plus the hassle of dealing with someone offshore should anything go wrong.

Should I try and cancel? (Which in itself isnt easy as they apparently dont respond to email and no telephone)

Anyone had any experience? Did you have to pay VAT if so? I understand there's a tax exempt for orders under £18 which this obviously isnt.

Worried.....

TBH1 16:38 08 Jul 2004

if you have to pay vat, it will be another £50 or so - - -though I'm sure vat is included on that site.

joelmb 16:44 08 Jul 2004

Its in Guernsey, so no it isn't added as they are outside of the EU.

I really wish I'd been aware of this before or even at the point of paying so i could have made a decision without the risk that I now have to gamble with! Something that they as a company are leying on for custom! (excuse the pun)

Sibbo 16:53 08 Jul 2004

I believe you can cancel orders from 7dayshop if they have not been processed and despatched. You do this via your account page.

sicknote 16:55 08 Jul 2004

Can you not Fax them as there is a fax number 01481 258546

vibrant 17:01 08 Jul 2004

Telephone no.is 01481 257336

joelmb 17:03 08 Jul 2004

"cancel orders from 7dayshop if they have not been processed and despatched. You do this via your account page. "

Can't see it on there. Don't think you can.

I believe you have to email them. Having emailed them twice two days ago wondering when my order would arrive (it only says dispatch date 00-00-0000!) and not had a reply to that, i don't hold a lot of hope with that method either.

I'm guessing I'll have to wait for delivery, if i pay vat on top just put it down to experience. If people read and notice this about their non VAT prices it will be something! Not exactly comparing like for like when shopping about....

sicknote 17:07 08 Jul 2004

click here It says the following

If your delivery address is outside of Guernsey you may be subject to duties/taxes/charges which may be levied once the package/s reach the delivery destination. Any such charges must be bourne by you. We have no control over these charges and we cannot predict what they might be.

joelmb 17:11 08 Jul 2004

Erm, yes I know, which is why I've posted this in the first place! I wrote:
"Only a small note explains this on their website, and nothing whilst you actually place the order and part with your cash. "

joelmb 17:12 08 Jul 2004

Thanks vibrant but tried ringing that already, it has ansaphone saying they dont accept calls on it.

sicknote 17:20 08 Jul 2004

Can you not except delivery and that way it should be sent back to 7dayshop??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts