3 Monitor Set Up

karlroby 22:00 18 Jan 2010

Hi Everyone,

I would like to be able to connect 3 monitors to my pc as i do alot of graphics design etc and i have a motherboard that supports the ATI crossfire technology so 2 graphics cards can be installed together.

Although generally this is to enhance gaming with the extra GPU power would i be able top use all the ports at the back of both graphics cards to have an extended display with 3 monitors?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Forum Editor 23:28 18 Jan 2010

click here for a simple explanation of how it's done.

GaT7 15:21 19 Jan 2010

If you use the two GPUs in non-Crossfire mode, you can indeed run 3-4 monitors. G

AL47 19:18 19 Jan 2010

im running two

check out ATIs eyefinity too.

GaT7 20:46 19 Jan 2010

Looks like ATI's Eyefinity (click here / click here) requires one monitor with a DisplayPort. From the footnotes:

"...and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector."

Review at click here. G

karlroby 21:07 19 Jan 2010

Thanks for the replies.

The EyeFinity looks quite good until i read that the third display needed to be connected by diaplay port and i have 3 monitors with DVI on them.

I was looking on scans website and they seem to sell display port to DVI adaptors which i thought would work?

click here

The graphics card i was also looking at here if anyone has any suggestions?

click here

Thanks again

GaT7 21:34 19 Jan 2010

I think the adapter you linked to is a 'passive' one, whereas apparently one needs an active adapter - going by discussion in this thread click here.

Also confirmed at click here. Atm, an active adapter costs ~£80 click here.

So it'll be much cheaper to get couple of ATI 4xxx series cards click here. G

GaT7 21:39 19 Jan 2010

If you go down the Eyefinity + active adapter route anyway (i.e. despite it being more expensive), consider the cheaper HD5670 card: click here / click here / click here / click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)