19" TFT suitable for gaming

anchor 13:46 05 Apr 2005

Quote from an e-mail I received:

"The Samsung SyncMaster 913N has a response time of 8 m/s. The TFT Active Matrix Monitor, with a screen size of 19", features a super-slim narrow bezel and supports a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024".

click here

I have an 19" Samsung TFT and the picture is really excellent. The 913N is priced at £239 here:

click here

freaky 11:55 06 Apr 2005

It would appear to be OK, the 8msec response time is the best I have seen, and the price is excellent.

I am using a 17" Iiyama Prolite E435S which has a response time of 10msec, this is faultless and copes great with Half Life-2 and Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle-Earth.

Hope this helps.

Jdoki 15:12 06 Apr 2005

Response times are not always indicative of performance, especially in gaming... for example the Sharp 172G is a 12ms TFT (I believe) and excellent for gaming, but I've seen an 8ms Benq perform quite poorly with a small, but noticable amount of ghosting (both 17" TFT's).

Also colour reproduction is important, as some TFT's either darken or wash out colours which ruins games like Doom 3 which rely on shadows, as they seem to meld together and lose definition and variation of tone.

Finally, until 1600x1200 is mainstream for 19" TFT's I don't really see the point. I have a 19" CRT on which I play pretty much everything from Doom 3, Half Life 2 to World of Warcraft at 1600x1200, so, for me, the extra 'screen real-estate' a 19" TFT brings is wasted by 'only' being able to display at 1280x1024.

(I don't believe there is a 1600x1200 19" TFT that is suitable for gaming - yet)

Starfox 16:10 06 Apr 2005

" TFT suitable for gaming

I just don't believe that such a thing exists.:0)

I play online games a lot and when I changed my monitor to TFT I never won a game.Even taking into account that I might be a lousy player I had not had this problem before and when a friend in IT suggested that my brand new TFT could be responsible I thought he was taking the mick but I changed back to CRT anyway.

I then got back to the standard of game playing I had reached before so I can only put it down to the monitor,and I still have no idea why.

The 17"TFT montor is back in it's box awaiting a good home.

anchor 16:18 06 Apr 2005

I confess!!; I am not a gamer, but I thought the spec: sounded good.

I know the superb quality of the Samsung 19" TFT screen from the photo work I do. I am very particular and demand excellent image quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?