Wi-Fi problems MacBook Pro 15" 2011

sir_bacon 11:20 16 Dec 2015

Hello guys,

I've been encountered Wi-Fi problems with my MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (early). After browsing different forums I still have not found a proper answer on what can be done to fix the problem nor troubleshoot.

The problem:

The Wi-Fi on the laptop is only connecting in certain rooms. For example, in my bedroom, the wifi can not be found on the MacBook (but the wifi can be found on my LG Nexus 4 as well as Lenovo laptop - we also tried with an old MacBook from 2009). So it is certainly something wrong on this specific laptop. I am able to get connection in a room close to the router, but then only if the screen is tilted. So - for me, it seems like its some hardware problem (I've read that the Wi-Fi card is somewhere close to the screen, so it might be some cable issues). When using an ethernet cable, it works perfectly fine.

My question to you guys is if there is someone else who have had the same problem? And if so, if you were able to solve it. Im currently thinking of making a clean reinstall to see if it makes a difference, but due to my so far troubleshooting, I am afraid its a hardware problem.

Is there anyone out there who have had the same problem and actually solved it? And if so, how did you do it?

Best,

Sir Bacon

Arren76 07:55 12 Jan 2016

I never met this problem. I search online and find a Macbook user manual. Maybe it can help you deal with the wifi problem.

Click here: Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) User Manual

Macworld 11:22 12 Jan 2016

Is it just not connecting to WiFi at all in certain rooms, or is it connecting to a different WIFI (perhaps your neighbour's signal strength is stronger in certain rooms than others and is interfering with your connection there?)

Maybe a WiFi extender would solve your problem?

It just seems odd that your Mac connects in some places but not others, to me that suggests that it's not a hardware fault, but an issue with the WiFi signal being strong enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to Watch Mi Mix 4, Mi 9 Pro Live Stream: Xiaomi 24 September Event

The new World Cup logo: designers on how it scores against WC logos of old

iOS 13 Latest Version, Updates, Problems, Fixes, and New Features

Les meilleures séries OCS (2019)