Which MacBook should I get?

John Lloyd 11:22 09 Sep 2019
Answered

...and what software comes as standard?

Apologies in advance for what might be a terrifyingly mundane question, but I’m in the market for a new laptop for the first time in years.

I need a laptop for work purposes, which will be for generating creative content - both text and images, still and moving (using iMovie).

I’ve got Dropbox so it wouldn’t need a huge amount of storage space, but be able to handle a good level of daily usage and at a decent speed.

Which version of the MacBook family should I focus on?

What software comes as standard, too?

TIA.

HondaMan 17:53 09 Sep 2019
Answer

Budget?

John Lloyd 17:59 09 Sep 2019

I’d like to keep it under £1500 if I can.

wee eddie 19:25 09 Sep 2019

That pretty much limits you to a small screen and low specification model.

It might be worth thinking about a higher Spec one, about 2 year old. The after-market is full of them, sold by pampered Execs who have to have the latest and the "best!"

John Lloyd 20:40 09 Sep 2019

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Where would I find these after-markets?

wee eddie 20:59 09 Sep 2019

I'm not a Mac Man but, others will tell you where to look

Jollyjohn 12:52 10 Sep 2019

Try Morgan Computers click here I have used them in the past and have always had good service.

bremner 15:00 10 Sep 2019

Apples own refurbishment site is a good place to look click here

The whole site is currently being updated as the big launches are being announced from 6pm today

1]: [click here

HondaMan 16:46 10 Sep 2019

I go with Bremner on this as you get an Apple warranty. You will not save a lot over a new machine, but you will get quality and (hopefully) reliability.

You might want to check out Apple Service centres in your area before committing yourself. We're lucky where I live as we have two within 15 miles.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)