Which 21.5" iMac 2019 would you recommend?

rolu 18:28 06 Sep 2019

I want to get an iMac to replace my old one. I'd like something for general domestic use but as you can't put in your own RAM in the 21.5 I need something that is enough for present and future uses - think the next 6 or 7 years. The more you up the specs though the cost goes higher and higher - I've also hear that its best to get the ssd as the fusion drive isn't that reliable. What's the minimum spec you'd get thinking about streaming films, playing the odd game, editing home vids etc? Thanks

Pine Man 18:51 06 Sep 2019

I have a 6 year old iMac 21.5 with a Fusion Drive and it has never missed a beat!

If I was replacing it I would go for the best version I could afford, which would have a minimum of 16GB RAM, top end Graphics and Processor and, probably a separate SSD hard drive.

It is possible to split the screen from the body of a 21.5 iMac and many have carried out upgrades that way.

rolu 10:56 07 Sep 2019

Thanks - all sounds great but then I'm going to be paying around 2k. Are these really the specs for what I mentioned? if so, going to have to save!

Pine Man 11:27 07 Sep 2019

I would go for the best version I could afford

...is what I said. It's a matter for you as to how much you want to spend and you did suggest you want to future proof it. It's up to you.

HondaMan 11:36 07 Sep 2019

Why not buy a new MacBook Air from here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)