Hot Topics

Where on earth did my backup go?

Jerry48 12:08 27 May 2020

I used Xperia Companion to backup my phone to my iMac. The backup was apparently successful. But I have no idea where the backup itself actually went. I have looked in all the obvious folders. Nothing there. Don't even have a name to look for.

Pine Man 12:44 27 May 2020

If you now set Xperia Companion to restore your phone (don't actually carry out the restore) it should show you were it intends to get the file from.

Jerry48 13:21 27 May 2020

Good idea Pine Man, thanks, but it didn't work. The file name it gave didn't come up on any Spotlight search. And all I really wanted to do was transfer photos from the phone microcard to the Mac but it wouldn't let me do that without initialising the card, which presumably would have wiped out its memory (?)

Pine Man 14:21 27 May 2020

which presumably would have wiped out its memory (?)

Probably not but does this help?

Transferring Photos and Videos to a Mac

1. Attach a USB cable to your phone and to a free USB port on your Mac.

2. On your Mac, open Android File Transfer.

3. Open the DCIM folder.

4. Open the Camera folder.

5. Select the photos and videos you wish to transfer.

6. Drag the files into the desired folder on your Mac.

7. Detach the USB cable from your phone.

Jerry48 14:38 27 May 2020

Tried that yesterday. No such thing as Android File Transfer that I could find. Keep trying! All suggestions gratefully received!

Pine Man 15:24 27 May 2020

Keep trying!

How's this?

click here

Jerry48 17:50 27 May 2020

Thank you Pine Man. I would not have thought of that (my username gives a clue to my age.) It did work after a fashion. I managed, eventually, to find the photos but the program would stop working every few seconds - could not connect to device, restart - which I did something like 20 times. And of course each time I did the cable became a charging cable instead of a file transfer cable so I had to switch it.

Just shows, I think, that after all these years, Android software designers still don't really want their stuff to interface with Apple. I don't think I helped by having all my photos on the micro SD card rather than the internal memory. But, as I said earlier, the Mac refuses to read the card without initialising it first. If that is the same as formatting then I'm snookered.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

Pine Man 18:24 27 May 2020

Good luck!

bremner 19:57 27 May 2020

When you backup an iPhone on the Mac it goes to Library > Application Support > MobileSync

"Library" is a hidden folder but if you go to Finder and hold down the Option Key and click on Go in the menu bar Library will appear in the drop down

I do not know if the Backup software you have used will default to that same folder.

Jerry48 10:29 28 May 2020

Thank you for your interest bremner. I did what you said. Amazing what you learn about a machine even after 10 years! MobileSync has a folder called Backup in it but the folder is empty.

What I'll maybe do is take some photos with my Xperia then try to back up again using Companion and see what happens. It'll presumably use the same folder. I tried to ask Sony but life's too short.

HondaMan 12:36 28 May 2020

Buy an iPhone?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

The Best Keyboards for Designers and Artists

Appification is the real threat to the Mac

Bon plan Amazon : l’aspirateur robot RoboVac L70 Hybrid de Eufy à 379,99 €