What year was this MacBook Pro released?

Charlotte Brett 14:12 05 Mar 2018

Came across a reputable website selling a MacBook Pro I want, but it doesn't state what year it was released. Can anyone help? Here are the specs listed:

Display: 13" LED-backlit Retina display with IPS technology

Screen resolution: 2560x1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colours

Supported scaled resolutions: 1680x1050; 1440x900; 1024x640

Processor: dual core Intel Core i5 processor

Memory: 8GB RAM

Hard disk drive: 256GB PCle-based flash storage

Graphics/sound card: Intel Iris Graphics 640

Operating system: macOS Sierra

Wireless connectivity: 802.11ac Wi Fi wireless networking; Bluetooth 4.2

Sound: bulit-in stereo speakers

Camera: FaceTime HD camera with up to 720p HD quality

Keyboard: Full-size backlit keyboard with: 64 (US) or 65 (ISO) keys including 4 arrow keys

Trackpad: Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and pressure-sensing capabilities; enables force clicks, accelerators, pressure-sensitive drawing and Multi-Touch gestures

Battery: up to 10 hours wireless web, up to 10 hours film playback, up to 30 days standby time

Software included: Mac App Store, Safari, Mail, Messages, Calender, Contacts, Reminders, Notes, Time Machine, FaceTime, Photo Booth, Game Center, iTunes, iLife (iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand) and more

Laptop (h x w x d): 1.5cm x 30.4cm x 21.2cm (0.6" x 11.9" x 8.4") Weight: 1.37 kg

Thankyou in advance!

Pine Man 15:05 05 Mar 2018

The fact that it comes with Sierra suggests that the Mac Book is probably around a year old as that OS was released in September 2016 with High Sierra coming a year later. On the other hand if it is a genuine unused machine the fact that it comes with Sierra means that it should run on High Sierra.

You say it is a reputable site so why not contact them and ask?

Pine Man 15:10 05 Mar 2018

Uh Oh! Just noticed that it comes with iPhoto. This was replaced by Photos in 2015. It's starting to get a bit dated but still worth making contact.

Pine Man 15:11 05 Mar 2018

I keep thinking of other things and it just occurred to me that Sierra didn't ship with iPhoto. So it has been meddled with!!

Charlotte Brett 15:23 05 Mar 2018

Here's the link

I've tried contacting to ask but no reply as of yet!!!

Pine Man 15:54 05 Mar 2018

Had a look at the ad but I'm not an expert on Mac Books BUT I do have a fair knowledge of operating systems and their applications.

If it is being sold as new and ships with MacOS Sierra it couldn't have iPhoto as one of it's apps unless it has been used. Also if the photograph on the site is supposed to show the screen of the one for sale then there is another problem with the icon on the dock for Safari. That icon is for an older version of safari than the one that shipped with Sierra.

The only way to truly find out it's release date is from the information contained in 'About this Mac' in the Apple, top left of the screen.

Pine Man 16:00 05 Mar 2018

Check this out

click here

Charlotte Brett 16:00 05 Mar 2018

It's just so confusing!!!

Charlotte Brett 16:03 05 Mar 2018

Surely for the price it's the 2017 one - especially if John Lewis is selling it for less!!! I just like the fact QVC has four easy payments system so would be better if it checks out as 2017 model!

Pine Man 16:04 05 Mar 2018

No it's not.

QVC have bought up old stock. The machine at J Lewis is almost the same but at least a year or two newer and cheaper.

No brainer if that's what you want.

Pine Man 16:07 05 Mar 2018

The QVC Mac Book isn't 2017. More like 2016 or even 2015.

The choice is yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)