Username Password Error for administration actions

Michael Halpin 20:37 20 Dec 2017

Hello all,

I am currently having a strange issue with my username and password.

I am working on a late 2009 iMac running High Sierra. I wanted to change the username "User" and the password "password". So I went in to the user and groups, unlocked the settings, right clicked advance setting and changed the info. I resetting the computer.

I logged back in but the username was still "User" but the password that worked was the new password. Strange.

I am now in the computer so I go to install the new chrome but my username and password is incorrect :0.

I dont understand how i can get on to the computer but not be able to do any administration actions.

Can anyone help me out please?

Thank you

Michael

HondaMan 10:01 21 Dec 2017

Can you set up a new administrator account, say "Amin" with a simple password, say "123" and use that solely to administer the computer. Then change any other accounts to standard accounts.

When I ha password problems that is what I did. To administer the computer through a user account is inviting problems.

Michael Halpin 10:03 21 Dec 2017

I can’t unlock the system preference lock to be able to create another account. I would have to do it through the boot screen but I ain’t sure how you do this .

HondaMan 10:06 21 Dec 2017

Start in safe mode. Immediately after your Mac starts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the progress indicator.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?