USB Wireless Adaptor and Apple Air Port

spex75 21:27 04 Dec 2008

Hi,
Got a problem with a laptop I sold to someone on eBay. It was quite an old laptop and didn't have an internal NIC so the only way to connect it to the internet was via a USB wireless adaptor.

After many complaints from him that XP wasn't installing the wireless adaptor (he thought XP should have the drivers for it and didn't use the disk!) I got a phone call from him, a very arrogant phone call I may add. I told him the best way to install the USB adaptor so that he could use WZC utility.

Now heres where the problem occurs - his network has been found by the adaptor and when he goes to connect to it and attempts to acquire the IP address and finally goes to the "Limited/No Connectivity" warning. His router is not on a secured network and I don't know how these AirPorts work.

The USB adaptor is an ZyXel G202 which I used to hook it up to the internet before sending it out.

Anyone any ideas?

Technotiger 22:06 04 Dec 2008

I don't understand - you say he is complaining about XP wasn't installing - then you go on to talk about Apple Airports??

Is he using it on a PC or a Mac - if a Mac, has he downloaded the Mac Driver for the Adapter?

spex75 22:11 04 Dec 2008

Sorry, I meant he called after trying to get XP to auto-install the adaptor. Basically from ..."Now heres where the problem occurs" onwards.

Its on an XP SP2B laptop and has the correct drivers. I'm sure the problem is down to his AirPort and the set up.

tullie 22:17 04 Dec 2008

For those that dont know,whats AirPort?

Technotiger 22:20 04 Dec 2008

... that's the bit I don't understand - Airport surely is Macs way of getting on-line, not the PC's, unless I am missing something.

But for use with XP - has he installed the Driver for it - as far as I am aware it is not a Generic XP driver.

Technotiger 22:22 04 Dec 2008
  Technotiger 22:24 04 Dec 2008
  Technotiger 22:44 04 Dec 2008

This may also point to the problem he is having ...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?