Unable to install OS X onto new hard drive.

Brawdy14 10:30 30 Sep 2018

Hello!

I'm writing from my new 27inch iMac running macOS Mojave. I bought my previous iMac in 2009, a 24 inch 2008 model. It was running OS X El Capitan.

The hard drive failed. I have personally removed it and installed a brand new WD 1TB SATA hard drive. My problem now is that I cannot install a Mac operating system and wonder why that should be. I've tried to use my original set-up DVDs which were supplied with my computer (Leopard) and also via a genuine Snow Leopard DVD which I purchased in September 2009.

'Something' on the machine appears to be preventing the installation.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what that 'something' might be?

Ideas welcomed!

bremner 14:53 30 Sep 2018

What message do you get when the installation fails?

And have you formatted the drive in Disk Utility from the DVD before attempting the install

Brawdy14 18:52 30 Sep 2018

There have been NO messages!

I did get to this stage with the Snow Leopard DVD:-

click here was able to format the new hard drive using Disk Utility as evidenced here:-

click here I went to 'Continue' I was then able to read and accept Apple's T&C. I next saw the icon/image of a disk. Even before clicking on the image, the screen went blank and the installation ceased.

I've tried this on more than one occasion with the same result.

I hope this helps.

I When

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs