Tunes Purchases - An unknown error occurred (-54)

Belfastboy 14:52 03 Dec 2018

I recently purchased a few music albums and films from iTunes which were subsequently downloaded to my iMac. However I also received this error message " There was a problem downloading “Bridge Over Troubled Water / Seventies Anthems / Simon & Garfunkel”. An unknown error occurred (-54). " for each item I purchased.

I subsequently discovered that all the purchases were successfully downloaded to my other Apple devices, namely my iPhone, iPad and another iMac. The iMac that I am having the problem with was recently wiped clean and a fresh install of Mojave done. My music library and relevant iTune files are on an external hard drive.

Trusting someone can help me with this problem.

bremner 17:35 04 Dec 2018

Had a similar use a while ago and this is the fix that Apple sent me -

Go to User(your home folder)/Music >Select/highlight your "Music" folder. You will need to go to external drive where your files are located

Then press Command-I ("Get Info" from the File menu), click on the padlock icon in the lower right of the new window >Enter your user password.

Click on your username just above the now-open padlock >Select "Read & Write" if it's on "Read Only," "Write Only," or "No Access."

Now having your user account with "Read & Write" privileges (it may have been this way already; still do this next step), click on the gear on the bottom-center of that window.

Click on "Apply to all enclosed items." When the pop-up says "Are you sure?" (or the equivalent), say "yes." This will grant access privileges to your user account for all the music files inside your music folder--all your iTunes stuff included).

Once the above instruction is performed, kindly try download the song via iTunes in the cloud and this below article will guide you on re-downloadng the track for free of cost:

gnc220 18:23 05 Dec 2018

successfully downloaded to my other Apple devices, namely my iPhone, click here

1: href

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch