Trying to recover/restore HDD from Mac Mini

Rig3l 21:03 13 Jul 2018

So this is turning rather troublesome for me. I've been asked to try and restore some pictures from an old Mac Mini with an internal Intel HDD. If possible, also to try and restore the HDD itself. The problem is at startup: the flashing folder with a question mark appears, and nothing else. To be honest, I'm not really sure if the HDD's dead or not? Here is what's I've been through so far:

• I haven't been able to get to Disk Management/recovery mode. Now I'm using a Windows Keyboard (which is recognized all right), but no keyboard combination works. I've tried Windows + R, Ctrl + R, Alt + R, Alt + Ctrl + R, Windows + Ctrl + R several times, nothing happens. When I press Alt only, no folder but a cursor shows, but... nothing else! When pressing T (Target Disk mode), an icon appears and moves like a pause screen... which I guess is a healthy sign? Unfortunately, I have no other Mac or cable to try this out properly. Cannot enter single user mode either. Maybe the Mac Mini is too old to even have a Recovery Mode, or..?

• I've tried taking the HDD out, plugging it into a SATA adaptor and a Windows computer but with no luck. The disk is recognized in Disk Management but as an "unknown disk", when I try to initialize it, I get the error: "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks." Also, no recovery software seems able to allow me to select the disk at all. I've tried EaseUS, Stellar Phoenix, Wondershare and various other programs to no avail. The disk does not show in File Manager.

• I've tried booting the HDD from my Windows PC via USB/SATA. It is recognized in BIOS, but when I try to boot from it (also having edited the boot order), it's like my PC skips it and continues to boot from its internal HDD.

Any ideas?

AshleyBallard 09:36 03 Aug 2018

The external enclosure maybe faulty and are sometimes not the best places to test a drive. Take the HDD out of the enclosure and plug directly into the main board. See if you can access it then.

It looks like your only route is professional data recovery like uFlysoft:

Step 1. Launch the software to scan the device where your files deleted

Step 2: Preview the scan result files and make mark if it is the one you find

Step 3: Recover files

chaserouting 07:35 22 Sep 2018

chase routing number ca. CHASE Bank (also known as JP Morgan CHASE) is an American bank founded in 2000. It offers many services including Checking and Savings accounts.

chaserouting 14:51 23 Sep 2018

mybpcreditcard is one of the leading oil companies throughout the world and they do not only offer oil production but also have links in the oil refining, transportation, and the marketing industry. It is a multi-national corporation with its headquarters situated in London, UK.

chaserouting 16:21 25 Sep 2018

n this modern world, credit cards have become a necessity for a majority of the urban society around the world. Credit cards do not only allow us to pay off our bills but also play an important role in keeping a balance in our financial lives. My BP Credit Cards are best suited for the customers who frequently visit the BP gas stations and perform regular transactions.

click here

famitofu 08:56 23 Oct 2018

Since the day I met him, he knew that today One day, my memory is filled, surrounded by pictures of me surrounded. Struggling forever in a sentence, "now what to do?...... Play Game: basketball games

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?