Trouble installing bootcamp on new SSD drive

Cevans19 12:11 18 Apr 2018

Hi all, new poster here-

I'm having trouble installing a new bootcamp partition on my late 2013 iMac that has just had a crucial mx500 2TB SSD professionally installed. The mac came back from them working perfectly with a 2TB APFS partition with High Sierra installed and all my old data transferred.

There are a few facets to the problems I now face getting bootcamp up and running-

1) On my first run through using bootcamp utility to install a fresh version of windows 10 in the usual way (aiming for a mac partition of 1.25GB and windows of 750GB), I got as far as booting up into the windows installer where it asks which partition to install windows on to. I had previously been able to use the 'sliding bar' in bootcamp to select the partition sizes as above. Unfortunately, when I came to select this partition, the windows installed said that this partition could not be used, and needed to be formatted. I continued as the installer requested, 'reformatted' that partition in the installer, but was still unable to continue and install on that partition. Has anyone else come up against this/think why this may be?

2) After exiting the installer and booting back into High Sierra, I see that my Mac partition has indeed reduced in size to the desired 1.25TB, with the remaining 750GB marked as 'free space'. I find I am unable to resize my existing mac partition back to 2TB to start 'afresh'- I cannot drag the mac partition slider to take this space up, and when I try to 'delete' the free space, I get an error message- I will try and post some screenshots below. Can anyone provide a fix for this?

3) Interestingly, the bootcamp assistant suggests a slightly different story to the above. It seems to think that my Mac partition is still at 2TB (see screenshots). N.B- I have approx 360GB of data on my mac partition currently. When I try to click through again on bootcamp assistant, I get an error message stating the the drive cannot be formatted. Again, why would this be and how can I fix it?

I'm really stuck here and don't know how to proceed! Any help moving forward would be appreciated! Ill put as many relevant screenshots below as I can.

Bootcamp assistant errors-

click here readout of disk utility-

click here three disk utility views of the drive/container/mac volume- click here four steps I have tried to delete the free space-

click here thanks everyone for your help, Chris.

href

Terminal The

The

Many

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?